Isobel's Butt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
I had posted in here about it before and it is not the runs...but I do believe it is pee staining on her bottom tail area and even the bottom of her legs. The back ones mostly. Some times I see staining on her back hind sides,...as if she is laying in them.

This is what the first pics looked like:

is002.jpg

is001.jpg

Now I have been keeping on eye on things even though she HATES me when I pick her up. She was thumping at me to leave her be just now when I look another pic of her bum. Cant blame her really...I would be thumping at me if I was a bun....

So yesterday I looked and it looked SO much worse really, like brown and stringing her fur together...Made me iffy on it all...so I busted out with my pet clippers. They have come in quite handy over the years but I do believe it is time to replace them. Don't cut so well anymore...

Anywho...

I shaved down her bum area that is stained. I dipped a wash cloth in water and wiped very gently at it a few times....

Now today it looks like this...

PrettyDay020.jpg

PrettyDay019.jpg

PrettyDay018.jpg

Better.....but I was wanting thoughts on it....

I know someone mentioned like a grate to keep her from staining, but :

Wouldn't that hurt her to stand on since she spends SO much time in her pans eating he hay and also....I think it is the length of fur that is more so the issue than like her not caring she is getting dirty...The girl is F U Z Z Y....lol

So would it be best to shave down her bum area every now and again if it helps keep that area clean and allows her better access ??

I do no want any sort of infections to set in because the area is too dirty and staining...

Baxter gets a tail that looks like that. Never really been more than just on the surface though. I've just left him as it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. And he's a fluffy mini-lop.

Zeke on the other hand pees sideways and gets one of his legs all soaked in urine, so I have to keep his fur on that leg trimmed down to prevent urine scald.

So, if trimming her butt doesn't stress her out too much, you can just keep it trimmed. Or, just keep an eye on it and make sure she's not starting to loose fur in that area from urine scald.

--Dawn

It looks pretty normal for a fluffy white rabbit's bum to me. It's not bad at all. You can keep an eye on it to make sure the skin doesn't get irritated. I'd definitely use a grate in the litterbox. There are different types. Some are wire grids which are fine unless they spend ALL day in there. I use "plastic canvas" which is a lot softer and not grid-like. It lets the pee go through but not the poo. It's for some craft.

tonyshuman wrote:
It looks pretty normal for a fluffy white rabbit's bum to me. It's not bad at all. You can keep an eye on it to make sure the skin doesn't get irritated. I'd definitely use a grate in the litterbox. There are different types. Some are wire grids which are fine unless they spend ALL day in there. I use "plastic canvas" which is a lot softer and not grid-like. It lets the pee go through but not the poo. It's for some craft.

I will have to search out this canvas craft grid thingy...she does spend alot of time i her boxes...

Is it a chewing hazard at all?

Yes, it can be eaten, but my guys didn't do more than a little nibble on it. I have heard of some people who had to use something else because their bunnies chew too much. They used fluorescent lighting grids--they're grids that go into a drop ceiling between the light and the ceiling itself. They're in the lighting section of a hardware store. I prefer to use the plastic canvas because I think those grids could be a little sharp on feet.

Her but has seemed ok since I shaved it down...perhaps better access was all she needed...

Back