Is white hair normal???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocoxbunny

Reaction score
I've been noticing that my bunny has been starting to have some white hairs here and there. Will attach it. And I really just wanted to know if it's from growing up (I've had her for 2 months now and when I got her they said she was a month old so I'm assuming she is 4 months now) and she is already 2.5 pounds. She's very healthy I believe, she eats vegetables, pellets, hay, and always drinks water so I don't think the hair would have to do with health. Do you guys think that she just may be changing color? Someone in one of my other threads said her color is blue Vienna marked (she's had a white spot on her head since i got her). I'm also still unsure on what breed she is even though i was told she is a Netherland dwarf. Also, still don't know if she's actually a she or a he. When i got her it was, "It may be a girl," vet said that it's a girl but it's still a little too hard to tell so i feel like i don't know my bunny yet :( When would i be able to tell the sex and breed accurately?

IMG_5603.jpg

I would say white hair is normal, my rabbit Iris who was all black when I got her has got some white hairs here and there now, I'd say as long as your bunny is eating, drinking, peeing, poopng, and acting normal then bunny is fine, as for when you can tell the sex of a bunny well I'm not sure I'm sure one of the more experienced people on here should answer that but breed well I think you could tell that ppb right now, there is a bunny breed guide on the rabbit forum have you checked it out yet, good luck.

The color of rabbits tend to change everytime they moult especially when you don't have a 'pure bred'. If your rabbit has a white spot or is Vienna marked she's got white rabbits in her ancestors so having white hair is completely normal and has got nothing to do with her age : I've got a pure bred blue otter lop and his color has been completely unchanged since I've got him, but I've got a mixed small rabbit with a REW mother and white hair randomly appear in her black coat. Look at her under coat, it's very probable it's white at least in some places.
The breed really has no impact on the rabbit. Most of us don't really know as tons of rabbits are just mixed breeds - Aki for example has the weight of a dwarf but she's clearly not a pure dwarf as she shows no sign of dwarfism (onion shaped head, very small roundish ears, big eyes...). From the photo of your profile, yours is just a mix of smallish uppy ears rabbits too. It really doesn't matter.
On the other hand, you need to know if she's a girl as if she is, she will need to be spayed 3 or 4 months from now. There are tons of photos on the Internet to help you sex your rabbit - it can be done at any age, it's not always easy to tell from one look.

http://rabbit.org/how-to-determine-a-rabbits-sex/

You say that you've had her for 2 months since she was 1 month old. If it's not a typo, you really shouldn't have taken a 1 month old, it's too young to be separated from her mother and you're really lucky she's not ill.

Latest posts

Back