Is twitcher sick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyface

Reaction score
I'm leaving for a week-long trip, and my boyfriend scott will be caring for my Twitcher in that time.

I woke up this morning to find that I'd forgotten to fill hiswater-dish last night! I try to keep it filled and always do, but lastnight was a big night.

It must not have been empty for long, because I filled it and he dranka couple of sips. He was more interested in the pellets and salad Igave him.

My question! He is shedding a whole lot more this morning than lastnight, so I was wondering if I should take any extra measures to keephim healthy! I know that dehydration can be a serious matter.

Thanks!
Ashie

How long have you had him? He could be just molting.

give lots of water, hay, and some cannedpupmkin. he should be okay, monitor his poops and pee. on time one ofmy bunnies knocked her bottle off her cage, i found it on the floor inthe morning. :?

Nicole

bunnyface wrote:
I've only had Twitcher for six months, so molting is a possibility.

What does canned pumpkin do? I'll tell scott to give him some... but how much?
Canned pumpkin is loaded with fiber and will help keep the GI tractmoving. When needed, I give them as much as they want...which usuallyis a couple or 3tablespoons daily.

I wasn't able to get canned pumpkin the last time I needed it, so Iopted for baby food...carrots was the chosen. Almost all veggies andfruits are a good source of fiber.

Make sure he has plenty of timothy hay, too.

Many of the members (including me)give their buns dried papaya or papaya tablets during heavy shedding or molting.

~Jim

Thanks for that awesome information!

Unfortunately, I am away from home right now, about 300 miles east inSpokane, Washington. However, I did make sure scott knew to give himthe hay. I'll call him up today and ask him to pick up some of thatgood stuff.

Thanks again, I'll update with his condition.

Ashie

Actually, rabbits need a minimal amount of waterto keep them alive. As long as they're not over-exherting I think it'slike 10oz a day (don't quote me) but overnight surely wouldn't induce amolt. As long as he's eatting healthy and acting normal, I would sayit's ok. I think they molt at about 3 and 6 months, one year and thenevery year atleast once. I've been busy and haven't studied much lately(sorry! haha)

Kat

The fiber will help him keep his system clearfrom getting hair blockages which can always occur when they'reshedding. Hahah. . . it does to them like it does to us. Ever eat toomuch corn? Any how, your babe should be just fine.

Kat

I'm going home tomorrow, hopefully he will be a good bun and not bite me for leaving him for a week! :D

I'll keep you posted on his health, and, hopefully, will have pictures soon!

Ashie

Latest posts

Back