Is this true?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a bit extreme, personally. All of our young rabbits and kits would be dead if that was true, because I don't usually do that unless I've touched a sick rabbit beforehand or I am sick myself. Most animals, including rabbits already have e coli in their system. Its when something causes the growth of this bacteria to get out of hand that it causes problems, whether it be tainted food or stress or something else.

I have never had this problem. I handle kits immediately after they're born and don't make a point to sanitize myself before handling them.

Proper hygiene is important, but that is a little extreme. Wash you hands after using the bathroom, and if you do handle a sick rabbit (or one you aren't sure about).

Kissing your rabbit can be an issue if you have a cold sore. The herpes virus is deadly to rabbits. But general kissing is fine.

E. coli is one of the gastro things isn't it? I was recently told that human gastro can be transmitted to rabbits (not necessarily producing the same symptoms) and that if you are sick with gastro, you should stay away from handling/feeding your rabbit to prevent infection. I'm not sure how easily transmitted it is, but day to day handling when you're not ill is probably not a concern (obviously since we all own rabbits and handle them :p ). I generally don't wash my hands before doing anything with Bandit unless I've been preparing food or have them dirty from something else. I generally always wash them afterwards though.

I make a point of washing my hands before doing things with my rabbits.
E. coli is easy to pick-up as I understand it-- it lives in all our intestines and when they do swabs of door knobs and keyboards on computers they often find it. So its good to wash your hands if you know you are going to be handling your rabbits a lot.

Maybe I'm gross... I don't wash my hands before or after playing with my guys, unless my hands are actually dirty or I'm about to prepare or eat something. I figure they're pretty clean, and so am I? :p

I actually do wash my hands before handling the bunners because they're both kissers. I'm an outside smoker and/or I've been using chemicals and cleaners or I might have been handling my chickens, you just never know what my hands might get into. I don't usually run and wash after the bun though.

Latest posts

Back