Is this right?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brearune

Reaction score
OK! I've read through tons of resources given by this site, but I gotta admit, I'm overwhelmed! So this is what I would like to know.
I have the following plants in my home-garden (no pesticides used, and just in case I do wash them off :)) Are all of these okay?
Spearmint,
raspberries (are the greens okay, or only the berries?),
strawberry (again... greens?),
dandelions (I wish they weren't in my garden!! hahah),

Now, how much pellet food should I be giving my bunny daily? I haven't seen any mention of per day amounts for that...

and for hay. I've read that alfalfa hay should only be for younger bunnies... so my two year old should have Timothy hay, yes? And that needs to be available 24/7.

Now, this bunny is a foster I'm just now taking in. he was eating only pellets and hay. I'm just adding greens and veggies to his diet, and i know to do it slowly and one at a time to watch for any reactions, but... how slowly should I go? ...a few pieces of spearmint a day, moving up every day, or ...? I certainly dont want him getting sick!

Alright, I think that's all!!! Thanks guys! :)

Mint is fine (good for upset stomachs in most animals), Raspberry leaves are fine in small quantities- they are good for healing the uterus after giving birth or infection, the whole dandelion is good- boosts milk production in lactating does, I am unsure about strawberry leaves. The key is everything in moderation or it could cause diarrhea or other upsets.

Pellet food is variable depending on the age, size and needs of the individual rabbit. Most of my rabbits are free fed- I have feeders that I fill when low except for two bunnies that tend to overeat- one gets 1/4 cup pellets the other gets 1/2 cup pellets a day. Unlimited hay (I feed prairie grass hay and timothy hay most of the time to all ages- I add small amounts of alfalfa hay in the winter) I also give all my bunnies (ages 6 weeks and up) fresh grass when available.

Is there a certain "type" of fresh grass that's okay? Or can I just go into the backyard (no pesticides or chemicals of course) and grab some...?
Also... for winter, is it okay to collect these greens, freeze them, and thaw them later? or would they just go bad and be bad to give to bun-bun?

Any grass that has not had any chemical treatment is fine. Start by feeding just a small handful to be sure it doesn't upset his digestive tract.

any of the fresh greens can be saved for winter- dry them first by hanging them upside down then freeze them in ziploc bags. If you freeze them without drying they can become mushy when thawed and cause diarrhea.
I have my kids collect dandelions all summer long and we dry and freeze them for winter treats- same with the raspberry leaves.

Some rabbits also really like yogurt and 1/2 a teaspoon helps their digestion.

Latest posts

Back