Is this Pain Med safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aurora369

Reaction score
Meloxicam is what the vets gave me, but I've never heard of it before.

Is this pain med okay?

It says "Feline" on the label, so I'm wondering if they gave me the right stuff...

Thanks,
--Dawn

Sometimes I've noticed they do that with me too. ..like the ear antibiotic for my rabbit said for cats and dogs. What is the dosage they prescribed and what is the wt. of your bunny.

Make sure you give it with or after food, because it can cause stomach irritation. Other than that, the majority of rabbits do fine on it. It's probably the most prescribed pain med for rabbits.

Well, she's not eating yet, so hopefully she'll eat something over night.

I've given her lots of options, she's got Parsley, Broccoli, Carrot top, Timothy hay, and Alfalfa, in addition to her normal pellets.

I really hope she starts eating soon.

--Dawn

Have you tried holding her food for her? All three of my girls wanted me to hold their food for them after their spays. Makes them feel special, I guess.

I've tried holding it, waving it across her nose, and even wiggling the end of the parsley into to her mouth. She just spat it out.

Sigh...

I'll keep trying. I go and try every half hour or so. I don't want to stress her out, but I don't want to stress me out either, so it's a fine balance.

--Dawn

Okay, on the bottle it says to give .1mL, but I remember the vets office saying .05mL. I gave her .05mL because I'd rather fall short than OD her.

I'll have to call the vets office and ask.

Grr... stupid labels confusing me. Saying stuff like "feline" and a different dose than I remember.

--Dawn

I can't access it from work, but there is a rabbit medicine calculator that will tell you the normal dosage range. You can find it by going to the Morfz Rabbit References site, going to the health area, and it's near the very top under the topic of medications. That should give you a better idea of what her dosage should be. I usually double-check all of my rabbits' prescriptions there just to make sure.

Meloxicam is the pain med that prescribed for our lop boy when he got his bitten by his brother. It was a 1.5 MG/ML oral suspension. Our bunn boy was1.3 kgor so at the time and was taking 0.26 cc once a day. It worked out to 0.3 mg/kg I think if I am reading the clinic report right.:)

Oh...when we had to give him his meds we would schedule it so it fell around the time we fed him. So we would let him eat some of his greens and then give him the meds. They were banana flavored so he thought they were a treat...he was so sad when he was finished his meds!!:D

I called the vets and they said it was a typo on the bottle, so she was supposed to get .05mL, which is what I gave her.

I had to force feed her some pellet slurry as she hadn't started eating yet. Hopefully she'll be eating when I get home from work today.

--Dawn

Back