Is this normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATH

Reaction score
I posted on my last thread some new info, but no one responded, maybe because it's old? I don't mean to clog the board or seem annoying, but I've become a bit obssesive/worry wort. :cry2

Harvey, finally peed (first time in atleast 24 hours), but I'm still concerned. I've never really watched my rabbits go to the bathroom so I'm not sure what normal is. Harvey looked like he was concentrating, and soon some poops came out. He shook a teeny bit for like 5 seconds and then a little bit of pee came out. Then he continued to poop alot. Then he peed a normal amount. The urine seemed normal to me, no sludge, blood etc. He continued to poop about 60 pieces, geesh. Does that seem like a lot in a 1/2 an hour?The ones toward the end seemed just a bit softer, nothing I'd be concerned about normally. I picked him up to get a bit of a better look down there. His testicles are deflated, does that mean anything? It's wet down there, so it's hard to get a great look. He had no problem spraying urine at me once I put him down. Whenever he hops around, and kicks out urine gets sprayed, but I think it might be coming off his hair? So do you think he is straining in some way and that's why he pooped so much or is that normal. He continued to poop even after he finished peeing...

I may be completely over reacting, but I just want to make sure everything is normal... thanks :)

You didn't leave it very long. If you look at how fast this board moves you wil see that it doesn't move fast. Also, most people on here are American based and that can mean people don't get on until a lot later than at other places across the world (especially those members who work and can't get on at work). It doesn't mean you're clogging up the board, or anything to do with you, just that the members who normally have the most knowledgable responses are not on at that time.

I'm sure you will get an answer, but if in the mean time you are concerned then consult with a rabbit savvy vet.

My mind is not working right to give you a useful reply, sorry.

That sounds like a normal pooping. The shaking doesn't make much sense to me though. My guys sit there and look rather intent on what they're doing.

First thing I'd do is change up his litterbox a little. Get a grate of some kind to put on the litter so that he doesn't have to sit in it. I use plastic canvas from the craft store, some litterboxes come with a grate. Wire bottom cages aren't great for full-time living, but I like to have something in the litterbox that separates the bunny from the wet litter. If this helps, it's not a medical issue, he was just unable to not pee on himself. Google plastic canvas for craft stores near you.

If that doesn't help, there are a number of things that could cause him to pee on himself, from hormones to urinary infection. He should go to a vet to check for a UTI, discuss neutering, and also talk about the possibility of e cuniculi if it continues. A UTI or hormones is much more likely. Keep an eye out for blood in the urine and/or movement issues with his back legs.

For now, I really think you should change the place that he goes to the bathroom and see if that helps. If not, it could require medical attention. The deflated testicles thing is normal--many boy bunnies do this when they're picked up because they don't like being picked up and it makes them shy.

MATH wrote:
I posted on my last thread some new info, but no one responded, maybe because it's old? I don't mean to clog the board or seem annoying, but I've become a bit obssesive/worry wort. :cry2

Harvey, finally peed (first time in atleast 24 hours), but I'm still concerned. I've never really watched my rabbits go to the bathroom so I'm not sure what normal is. Harvey looked like he was concentrating, and soon some poops came out. He shook a teeny bit for like 5 seconds and then a little bit of pee came out. Then he continued to poop alot. Then he peed a normal amount. The urine seemed normal to me, no sludge, blood etc. He continued to poop about 60 pieces, geesh. Does that seem like a lot in a 1/2 an hour?The ones toward the end seemed just a bit softer, nothing I'd be concerned about normally. I picked him up to get a bit of a better look down there. His testicles are deflated, does that mean anything? It's wet down there, so it's hard to get a great look. He had no problem spraying urine at me once I put him down. Whenever he hops around, and kicks out urine gets sprayed, but I think it might be coming off his hair? So do you think he is straining in some way and that's why he pooped so much or is that normal. He continued to poop even after he finished peeing...

I may be completely over reacting, but I just want to make sure everything is normal... thanks :)
howdy./.lagamorphs do have some things in common,but their environment differs,sometimes drastically./.sounds like you need to monitor harvey closer for -day-to-day-comparison,,indoor rabbit,are generally less stressed-andhealthier-than outdoor rabbits./.i would not recommend changes unless necessary ,,some people create issues that should not be,/,rabbit,care can be easy/or-made very difficult./.that given./.lets start with the gastrointestinal tract(gi-tract)-it needs fiber daily(70%)-to operate efficently.ie.timothy/orchard grass,,i use it in the hay bins for 24/7 eating and in the poop boxes,.next-nutrition/vitamins-low fat/quality pellets,.ie.purina rabbit chow,/.rabbits are consumate chewers and groomers,,with the proper fiber diet the gi tract will run (operate/normally),fruit tree/branchs/twigs are a good source for chewing-(teeth/gi.tract)-teeth constantly grow and the chewing is a must,,periodical exams will prove this,,clean/dandylions,clovers,grasses-will serve as a treat/.clean water/daily with an iodized salt lick-some safe toys and you should be able to keep dvm visits to a minimum,and have a healthy,happy bun,..sincerely james waller,kent wash. [email protected] :)

I would suspect urinary problems if he's leaking urine, having trouble urinating, and has wet legs. I would have him checked at the vet's.

Pam

Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up calling my vet. Better safe than sorry. She thinks he is fine. Harvey had a general wellness exam coming up anyways, so we just moved it up to this coming week. Obviously, if things become worse I will take him immediately.

Latest posts

Back