Is this normal or is something wrong?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bummblebee

Reaction score
Hi am new to this forum as well as a new rabbit owner I have a pregnant Doe who is 15 days pregnant and just today I noticed her inside of her eye the pink part is showing more and looks as though its covering her actual eye more than normal is this normal?

Could it be she is over weight and she is because she has a roll in her neck that her eyes are bulging and making it appear she is having eye problems please let me know what u think?

bunny002.jpg

It looks like she has some minor conjunctivities. Try a little eye ointment to clear it up and bring down the inflammation.

It is both eyes looks very disturbing when looking at her head on all u can see is pink bulging out:shock: There is no tearing or weeping going on yet but I just noticed this today should I just buy some eye drops from a pet store?

I went to the link u provided and yes my girl looks like the bunny in the pic with the third eye showing or pink as I keep referring to it. Do u think she is stressed I rescued her from a family that was not able to give her any attention and kept her in there basement but her eyes were normal when I got her she is very scared and cries when I come near to pet het although she is getting better but know that shes pregnant do u think this has stressed her even more?

It is said that rabbits stress very easily but I find rabbits handle it a lot better than I use to think.

I have saw that more often in Holland Lops and Mini Rex, but I never suspected it to be do to an illness. It usually just happened when you got them out and stay would say strain to get away.

Listen to the others though, they know more about it than I do.

I am soooo mad at myself I found the problem of why my rabbits eyes were this way It was strangling if u look in the pic u can see her little blanket well it was wraped around her neck the only reason I noticed is because Ive been checking on her all day worried and I noticed she wasnt eating and wasnt moving just sitting in the back of her cage she finally moved and the blanket moved with her it is white the part wrapped around her neck and very thin so it was hard to see I grabbed a knife cut it and her eyes immediatly went to normal and she instintaly started eating.

She has nesting habbits due to the pregnancy so she dug at the blanket and had a peice tore off she is fine now and I will be more careful and not put it back in

Wow! Glad she's ok. I've had this happen with animals - towels and blankets can pose a danger when left in cages.

Oh that is scary! It sounded to me like an infection of the third eyelid, so that would be something to look into if it comes back without the choking occuring.

O i was sure it was an infection of the third eye it looks just like it she is well Im still upset I left her like that pretty much all day I took pics and everything and didnt notice Im glad I finally did before I went to work thanx everyone

bummblebee wrote:
I am soooo mad at myself I found the problem of why my rabbits eyes were this way It was strangling if u look in the pic u can see her little blanket well it was wraped around her neck the only reason I noticed is because Ive been checking on her all day worried and I noticed she wasnt eating and wasnt moving just sitting in the back of her cage she finally moved and the blanket moved with her it is white the part wrapped around her neck and very thin so it was hard to see I grabbed a knife cut it and her eyes immediatly went to normal and she instintaly started eating.

She has nesting habbits due to the pregnancy so she dug at the blanket and had a peice tore off she is fine now and I will be more careful and not put it back in

I do place towels in some of my rabbits areas butI watch the towels carefully. Gloria tends to chew a hole in the middle of the towel and will eventually get a hole big enough to put her head through it. If the towel is big enough she becomes trapped in it. This would be dangerous as she could panic from being confined and hurt herself.
OnceI cam home and found Gabriel galloping around his area pulling an entire towel with him
very dangerous stuff. :shock:

Ialways watch for holes and then take the towels out .

Freckles update she is doing great and due to have kits on the 25 she has a new bigger home and Im so excited also here is the father of the kits Yankee pics
new home located in my garage
Back veiw complete with nest box attached
March007-1.jpg

the Bunnies getting settled into there new home

March023.jpg

Yankee is litter trained but since Ive moved him to his new home he refuses to use the potty he keeps going on his nest box I put a potty up there also and he just poops beside it hes never done this is this normal after being moved?

March027.jpg

Freckles displaying nesting habbits

March031.jpg

More nesting

March043.jpg

I would put up a temporary solid barrier between them as Freckes can get impregnated immediately after giving birth and bunnies can achieve this through one layer of wire!

It's a nice cage!. Maybe Yankee wants some more privacy when he poos, which is why he's using the nest box instead of the litterbox? Maybe a cat litterbox, with a lid, would be more comfortable for him? I know some bunnies like to have a place to hide that is separate from where they poo, and also like to have a private place to poo.

Thanx for the advice about the poop lol Yankee and Freckles are completely seperated the cages have wire between them so Yankee and freckles are completely seperate can see eachother but no visiting lol

Back