Is this necessary?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Necessary? No. Helpful? Maybe. Studies aren't 100% sure that papaya and pineapple break down fur in a rabbit's gut. It won't hurt her, but the best way to keep a rabbit from getting hairballs is making sure they eat enough hay and drink enough water when they're shedding, and to brush the excess fur off of them when they're shedding so they don't have so much to get off themselves.

It wouldn't hurt her, although I would not say it is necessary. Hay is the most important thing you can give a rabbit for preventing 'hair balls'. The fiber pushes the indigestible hair through. I have angoras and have never given an actual papaya supplement before- although I have chosen to feed a pellet food that contains papaya in it.

She gets plenty of hay haha! I fill it back up 2 times a day (morning and night) so she is fine in that department.

I bought a cat brush and cat "furbuster" for her because even after I brush her and clyde I get enough fur still to make little french lop clones ahaha!

All of this fur comes out of no where! And since she can't have a water bottle because she will break it within an hour - I change her water bowl all throighout the day but still so much hair gets in there so she might be ingesting hay that way too but there are only a few strands nothing serious. Maybe I'm over exaggerating? Haa

Rabbits have fur, they've had fur since the earliest recorded history, they've been grooming themselves for a lot longer.

I don't think there is any need to worry about giving these supplements. Only when you see a problem in their droppings then start giving them these things. Other than that let nature do its way.

Latest posts

Back