Is this Flemish a Sandy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyjr

Reaction score
My aunt just bought her July 10th. It was the same breeder that I bought my (blue fawn/ Harlequin) doe from. If she's a mis-mark Sandy, Then she will be re-homed. She's sure a sweet little thing.

This baby says she's a sandy. Her belly is bluish color and her coat is different then her 2 other Flemish's.

So I was wondering what she is.. Is she a mis-mark Sandy?

Thanks, Misty

SDC11193.jpg

SDC11194.jpg

SDC11196.jpg

SDC11197.jpg

I can't tell that well (headache) - I'd say she's a sandy with not great coloring - but mismarks? I don't see any mismarks like when you see white on the nose or paws or whatever.

okay,
But she was reading the book and said something about they cant have the bluish color bellies is supposed to be white.

But thanks anyways.

Sandy- Sandy has typical agouti pattern and is similar to a chestnut but color more reddish where a chestnut is more brownish. Look for even black ticking but not too heavy as it hides the reddish color. Look for brightness and definition in the reddish intermediate color. Also look for well defined black ear lacing.

This definition does look like its not word for word from the standard - so I can post it here without violating copyright (I think).

Its from here:
http://users.bentonrea.com/~frankz/fg.html

It's not really a mis-mark, but from Peg's definition, it seems to be missing on the intermediate red band. It doesn't look as red as a sandy should, but technically it is still a sandy.

Sandy with poor rufus factor. That's just the slate blue undercolor of the belly showing through, undesirable and indicating that it's not a genetic wideband.

I wouldn't use it for breeding as it appears to be of poor quality.

She was wondering about that. She read the ARBA Book and it said the same thing. So she was wondering about that..

Thanks, Pam

Her coat is also rough and not soft like her other 2 Flemish.. If feels like wirely texture..

mistyjr wrote:
Her coat is also rough and not soft like her other 2 Flemish.. If feels like wirely texture..
Well - she looks purebred from what I can see - sounds like she needs to be in better condition though with better food and stuff.

Well,, I just was over at my aunt Becky's today.. And this same doe is really dark conpair to her other 2 Flemish and her 6 babies. I dont think it's a sandy how dark she is.. The picture's above. On her back its like that but darker now.. And we read that Sandy's are redish not dark...
But she will be going this weekend anyways. She doesnt need poorly rabbit's to start with. But she sure is cute and getting so big.

Wait, how old is that doe? Never jump to decisions before they're 4 months old or so... I've seen more than a few who had odd color hints when they were young, but grew up to have spectacular coats. When they're young, they're just too volatile and you'll see all sorts of odd things that vanish (or appear) when they're older.

I think I'd be more concerned with overall form. In that first picture she appears to rise way too early, but it's hard to tell when they're not properly posed for the image. General type should count for a lot more than fur and markings.

She was born in May.. Her coat is just a different color then what a Sandy is supposed to be.. The 2 Sandy's that she haves is redish color like they are supposed too.. I am wondering if they got the color wrong on her pedigree... I bought a LH doe from the same person that my aunt bought the Flemish from and mine was the wrong color that they put on the pedigree. So that maybe be it.. I'm having a friend of mine look at her and she if shes the right color that says on the pedigree and what they think.. We have a show this Saturday... We will see what people say.

Woah. Thank you for this post. Now I know what color my flemish (mix?) is "technically". I know the lady said his mom was a sandy, but I never correlated that to a chesnutty/agouti color. o.o; Good to know. xD

Yup... The one friend of mine that is a well known breeder in Michigan said the same thing about the chestnut/agouti color...

But we will see on Saturday

Latest posts

Back