Is this cage suitable for a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnycat

Reaction score
I got my Ferret Nation 142 for Christmas in 2008 for my rats, and I love it. It has tons of room, but then again, rats are quite small. A rabbit inside would be a bit different, but it is still decently sized, I think.

611y725uJ6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

There's a picture of the cage and some random people.
Dimensions: 36in L x 25in W x 62in H.

And does anyone have any litter recommendations? For my rats, I simply covered the pans with fabric and whenever it was cleaning day, I took their toys and the fabric out and gave 'em a wash. Also, for a litter box, would Yesterday's News be sufficient? I also used that for my rats. =D

This style of cage is made for rats and ferrets and is not suitable for a rabbit. If you'd like to purchase a cage then the recommended ones are the Super Pet Giant cage, or a dog crate. You want 4 sq. feet minimum for a small/dwarf rabbit.

Here are some links.
http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-9898-Rabbit-Starter-Kit/dp/B000WTAJVY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1268240851&sr=8-2-spell

http://www.amazon.com/Iris-RP-750-Plastic-Rabbit-Black/dp/B001V5J7T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1268240851&sr=8-1-spell

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Hoppity-Habitat-Plus-Rabbit/dp/B002J697IE/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1268240851&sr=8-11-spell

You can also take a look at dog crates or exercise pens as easy cages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bengal: Thanks for the links, but those cages are a bit smaller than one half of the cage I have. I would be able to split the cage in two so that the rabbit couldn't go to the top level if anyone thinks it would be a hazard.
But I may try to invest in another cage if I can, though I was thinking mine may be alright for just a little while...
Any more opinions?
Edited to say that I can fit myself in the bottom part of the cage, and I'm around 5 ft tall, lol :biggrin2:

The reason why ferret nation isn't recommended, is because a lot of the space is unusable for the rabbit.
Here is the post describing the inevitable waste of space in your current structure: Here

This is the thread we've been through about Ferret Nation before: Remodeling FN

Buns need more horizontal space to run around on, flop on, etc. They aren't climbers, so can't fully use the vertical space to its fullest potential. They also don't do the suspended hammock thing like rats and ferrets.

The rabbit needs to be able lay down fully stretched out in all directions, stand completely up on hind legs, and has a hidey-box area. Additional room to dash in is optimal. Otherwise, an external accessible x-pen is needed.

The other major concern about the FN is the wire ladder component(could easily get a foot stuck and wrench the leg), and the unstable shelves.

I hope this explanation helps a bit:)

Ahh, that does help! I knew rabbits didn't climb much, and that was an initial concern, but now with the threads and reasoning you have given me, I'm convinced that this is not the right cage. xD
I'll probably sell mine for at least $100 and then get the Super Pet Giant, as I can easily afford that.
Thanks so much!

Yep! :)
It's going fairly well; there are a couple shelters around here with plenty of bunnies, so I'll most likely be adopting one from there once I get all of my supplies and whatnot.

It depends on the size of your rabbit and out of cage options. I have some lionheads that zip up and down between levels. It's also surprising that they can zip around in a small area bouncing off the walls. Personally I prefer multilevel cages because it give them a chance to climb. My rabbits jump up and down things when they are out of cage. When caged they seem to like resting on a platform. So while the area of a platform may seem wasted space as far as exercise, it make a comfortable resting place.

Since you already have the FN you might as well try it out. If it works out you can spend you money for a X-pen instead of a cage.

I made multilevel cages for my rabbits, and they love being up high, and the higher the better. Your ferret cage would be perfect for my minilop. As long as you already have the cage, maybe you should try your rabbit in it before spending money on another cage.

I /do/ want a minilop, but I'm not sure if there would be one available for when I'm able to get my rabbit, and I wouldn't want to leave out other good rabbits just because they aren't tiny with floppy ears, but it'd definitely be high on my list if I could get one. x3

I would love to keep my ferret cage, too, but if it just isn't ideal for most types of rabbits, I'd probably end up selling it and getting a cage that will let me keep my options open. With the money I make from my ferret cage, I'll be able to get the Super pet giant, and I have other money saved up as well that I could invest in a pen/toys/food, etc.

Oh man, I'd love a big x pen, but my mom would complain that it will take up too much space in my room, but I really don't care. Maybe when my brother moves out I can convert his room into a rabbit room, heeheehee.

Back