is this cage escape proof?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrmom26

Reaction score
hello all, i am a new bunny mommy, i have gone threw 2 cages and am on my 3rd i have had him about 2 1/2 months lol he has escaped his cage at least 5 times. the first one was a small cage the petstore said i should get, a my pets first home, i think it was. It was to small and he some how got the door open at night lol, i researched rabbit cages and found some do it yourself ideas using the wire storage cubes , i made probably 3 different versions using this each one he got out of i learned a lot in the process like make sure you get the cubes with the small squares not the large ones your bunny can squeeze threw lol

i changed to all small squares so he could not squeeze out , i took off all the round connectors and used zip ties , (he was ramming or shaking the side and knocking them loose to make a escape lol ) so it seems escape proof but he has fooled me before , so my question is, is it loki proof? i have not added a top to it because i like to be able to bring him snacks and give him a pat or two easily. i have rheumatoid arthritis so sometimes opening a cage door or doing a latch is painful . do you think he could jump out? he does this all while we are sleeping by the way and i wake up put my feet on the floor and he rushes out from under my bed, he always comes to my room even when we brought him to a different floor and still got up the stairs and found my room lol. I am home during the day so he has constant companionship during the day and when i go to bed it seems like he is determent to find me

thanks in advance ---Heather

this is what my cage is currently

004_zps219943bd.jpg

definitely not escape proof. There's no roof! There are tons of rabbits that could jump that with ease (my 2 could) and not to mention you have objects like that box which simply add a step to making jumping over easier.
You could make it sturdier by adding a proper base and flooring too it so the walls aren't able to be moved all over the place.

i was afraid i would have to put a top on :( its going to be hell on my arthritis to feed and cuddle him every day with one uggg. thank you

for tonight anyway i took the box out and used a sheet and clothespins to cover the top i'm hoping seeing the sheet up there will deter him from trying to jump out. i am learning ... slowly but i am learning lol

It's probably too late for this idea, but an extra large dog crate makes a very secure cage and the doors are pretty easy to open (for humans, not rabbits). I'd recommend getting the kind with two doors because mine only has one and it's hard to get to the back of it. If you wanted to, you could use the cage you made for the daytime and and the dog crate for night. You could even attach the grid cage to the dog crate so he can go in and out as he pleases during the day, then put him in the crate at night. :bunny24

Yeah not escape proof. My bun has jumped up onto my bed time after time again - it's 3 1/2 feet up - with no problem. Even if your bun doesn't jump out right away, the moment he feels determined enough and wants to escape he will.

For the roof I would suggest a sheet with close pins also if not using the grids. It's super light and easy to lift up whenever. :)

I also agree about the roof, even if he can't jump out, some rabbits are keen climbers. A sheet pegged on top may work as a suitable deterrent, however be aware that some bunnies like to pull fabric through cage bars and chew on it ;)

Shia live in this at night and when I'm not home ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404720461.949350.jpg
There are three openings ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404720560.913053.jpgroof
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404720606.872729.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404720651.571867.jpgtop doors
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404720704.207272.jpgbottom door latch
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404720838.113928.jpgbottom door open
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404720963.023588.jpgShida
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404721031.449840.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1404721112.339249.jpginner door from top level to bottom level

thanks everyone i guess its still a work in progress lol although he did not get out last night :)

I keep thinking that I would love to do something like this one (open at the top, easy to step in and out of) for ease of cleaning. Our 3 legged bunny is a jumper though.

Could you possibly build a roof using NIC grids. Attach with zip ties all but two grids. Attach those on one end and one the sides where they meet but leave on end not zip tied so you could just easily lift it up?

Your bun wouldn't be able to jump out then and although he could climb the side he would then have to be strong enough to also squeeze his way out. Or depending on whether or not it is easy for you use a few shower curtain hooks to lock the not zip tied end down at night.

Could you possibly build a roof using NIC grids. Attach with zip ties all but two grids. Attach those on one end and one the sides where they meet but leave on end not zip tied so you could just easily lift it up?

Your bun wouldn't be able to jump out then and although he could climb the side he would then have to be strong enough to also squeeze his way out. Or depending on whether or not it is easy for you use a few shower curtain hooks to lock the not zip tied end down at night.

thanks i think i am going to try something like you mentioned close the top all but leave the last 2 able to be folded up , my bunny has not tried to climb yet lol hopefully he won't anytime soon . he is the cutest thing but oh so curious and ... yes kind of fresh lmao

Latest posts

Back