Is this a normal behavior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnymommy94

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old neutered buck and a 1 year old intact buck who do not live together. The intact buck will not only try to mount my other male, but actually try to breed him as if he were a female. The few times they have come in contact with one another he will not give up trying to breed the neutered buck. Is this normal? I have heard of males mounting one another to establish dominance, but this is definitely more of a sexual advance. I am currently planning to have the intact male neutered, and do not house the males together at this time.

This is hormonal not dominance. Intact males will usually mount anything in sight. They don't care if it's male or female, or even if it's a rabbit. They have a lot of hormones driving them to reproduce regardless.

I would strongly suggest to keep them separate and not allow continued interaction . Putting an intact hormonal buck together with another male is generally a really bad idea. It is most likely only a matter of time before your neutered male gets fed up with the unrelenting mounting and a serious fight can ensue. One that could result in very serious injury or possibly even death. And once a fight occurs, if you plan on bonding after your other male is neutered (allowing 4-8 weeks for the hormones to dissapate first), having a fight could make it nearly impossible to accomplish this.

Last edited:
Back