Is this a good match?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill-Hutch

Reaction score
So I have a pair of mini lops that I'm planning on breeding this year when I get more cages. But I want to here what you guys think about them!
They are both pure bred mini lops and about a year old.
The pictures aren't the best because the buck was in a grouchy mood this morning when I took these. I'll get better pics of him posing later today.

This is Min. He is a lilac chinchilla buck. His dam and sire are both blue chinchilla. The dams pedigree is unknown, but the Sire's pedigree consists of a Blue Chinchilla Doe and a black buck.

Min Picture 1
Min Picture 2
Min Picture 3

This is Popcorn. She is a 1 year old Broken Chocolate Chestnut Agouti. Her pedigree is unknown, only that she is purebred.
24b1dsx.jpg

Popcorn Picture 2
Popcorn Picture 3

Let me know what you guys think of them!

I'm really looking forward to breeding them this summer!

Thanks guys!
~Sydnie

From what i can tell i like the bucks body in the profile shot. Could be a little fuller in the lower hindquarters and there is something i dont like about his head. It almost looks snipey. Neither have great width to their crown but i think i like the does head better. Her body Looks long in the shoulders with a flat spot over her loin.

I think you might get something good/decent out of the breeding. Good luck! Have you ever shown them? Or did the breeder that you bought them from give you critiques on them?

My little sister showed the doe, but she was a cloverbud in 4-H and I don't know how the judge graded the doe.

The buck has never been shown. I plan on showing both of them this year.

I may just have to wait until next year when they're 2. By then the bucks cheeks would have filled in more and I can tell how their crowns look.

I'm also going to wait because the buck is starting to give me troubles. He has goopey eyes and a runny nose. I'll be taking him into the vet sometime towards the end of April to see whats up.

No, this will be her first time as well as mine breeding intentionally. But I might have to forget this pair and go buy a better trio.

It will be hard to breed her once shes older than a year. If your going to breed her and she close to or over a year i would breed asap. But if she doesnt take the first or second time then you will Most likely have to pet her out. I would take a chance and keep the buck but if you find one thats better then go with the new one

I'm just considering forgetting this pair, taking the buck to the vet, and then saving up to buy new cages and 2 trios of high show quality mini lops.

I would suggest going with getting a trio of higher quality lops those two are pretty, but what I see are slipped crowns and long bodies, trust me I have been there, it is much easier to start with great rabbits then to try to "fix" those problems. Good luck, they are cute bunnies.

Thanks!

I'm planning on buying the 3 cages here within the next month and purchasing new buns within the next 2-3 months.

I'm extremely excited and I can't wait to see what I find!

Does anyone have a suggested age that I should buy the new buns at? I know does are no longer breed able if they haven't had a litter before they are 1 year old.

Hill-Hutch wrote:
Thanks!

I'm planning on buying the 3 cages here within the next month and purchasing new buns within the next 2-3 months.

I'm extremely excited and I can't wait to see what I find!

Does anyone have a suggested age that I should buy the new buns at? I know does are no longer breed able if they haven't had a litter before they are 1 year old.
Maybe think of getting a "proven" doe? Then you know that she's capable. She older too, so you don't go through the teenage months.

I got my doe young because of personal reason. I wanted to watch her grow and then breed. I have no clue if she can, and know that "first time" mom experiences don't always turn out for the best.

You really sound ready to start, so my advise, get "proven".

Wishing you luck in finding what you want!

K:)

A proven doe is a great idea. But sometimes not within the budget. Not sure what kind of money you are planning on spending, but juniors are way cheaper. You can get a great junior for the same price or less then a good senior. Why? Exactly what Zrabbits said, raising a rabbit from a junior to a senior and through at least one litter costs a lot more then does simply getting a junior to 3 months.

So if you can afford a proven doe ($60 is the low end around here for a show quality doe who has already had a litter) then go with that. If you can't then get the best junior doe you can get ($30 is usually the going rate for show quality junior mini lop does around here) and the best buck. To me a great buck is almost better then a great doe, you are going to be using that buck on every doe you own for a while, that is a lot of genes he is contributing to your future stock, so you want those genes to be amazing.

Good luck! If you where closer I would recommend a few great Mini lop breeders to get you started. I know they have been a ton of help to me!

2 of our first 3 rabbits were seniors and they were $30 each. The junior was the same price.

I am planning on buying a trio from a different breeder and i'll ask if they have any senior does that have already had a litter or 2.

Would it be a good idea to get the 2 does impregnated by the breeder's best buck before I take the does home or to buy a buck and then breed the does once they are at my rabbitry?

My only concern is that they won't have a trio of proven buns and might just have a junior and a senior doe...

Let me know what you think!

If the breeder is willing to breed your does before they go then go for it! That way any does you keep back from them will not be related to the buck you get. You can always get one junior and one senior doe. If you get the senior doe bred before you get her that is a major plus in my opinion

Unfortunately, I will not be able to be getting any more rabbits, seeing as my dad threatened to kill the 2 of our 5 that are mine.

I really wanted to get more, but as of the time being, there will be no new bunnies.

Latest posts

Back