Is this a false pregnancy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masseyrabbitry

Reaction score
A week and a half ago, I bought a bred Rex doe (Sugar) at a small animal auction. The previous owner told me she would kindle within a day or two. As soon as I got her home, I put a nest box in her cage. She hasn't been pulling any hair or showing any other signs of getting ready to kindle.

I didn't ask the previous owner what day she was bred, although I probably should have. Is it possible that this is a false pregnancy or that perhaps he got the dates mixed up?

Thanks!!

Chellie M

False pregnancies are when the doe actually pulls all her hair to make a nest and seems like she is going to have her babies. She goes through all the preggo bunny mama steps,but then she actually never has them. She just thinks she is pregnant. So it wouldn't be a false.

I would say that either is isn't pregnant after all, or the person got the dates mixed up. :)

Moving can also be pretty stressful on a Doe. I wouldn't ever sell one that's a few days away from kindling. o.o;; My max is day 14-16, just so I'm sure that she is pregnant.

Would stress cause her to kindle so late? I don't have her close to any of the other rabbits, but like I said I don't know exactly when she was bred, just that the previous owner said I should put her in a nest box immediately because she should kindle within a day or two.

Almost two weeks has gone by!! Now I'm stressed!!:pullhair:

Chellie M

I'm pretty certain stress can cause them to retain the kits, which in turn kills all the babies, and usually causes infertility in the doe. (I have heard of cases where she'd pass along the dead kits with a new litter, however.)

Can you palpate her? That is no doubt the best way to see if theres anything in there. It's pretty easy to feel full-sized kits in my experience.

I palpated her tonight, and I think the previous owner must have gotten the dates mixed up. It felt to me like she's only about two weeks along. I felt grape-like lumps, too soft to be poop. Think I'm right? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Chellie M

I only mention that its not a poop because I was telling a friend of mine about it and they asked if it could've been a pellet. I palpated a different doe that I bred two weeks ago and felt the same as with Sugar, only I felt more with Bunny. That's why I'm thinking Sugar was bred a day or two before I got her.

Chellie M

Latest posts

Back