Is this a concern?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckie

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm jumping in here with a hasty intro and a question. I'm Heather, SAHM to 6, owner of 1 snake, 1 cat, 1 bunny, and an ever changing passel of fish and mice.

10 days ago we were given a 3yo lionhead by a family who didn't have time for it. Six days later she started sneezing and not breathing well. I made a vet apt right away and 2 hours after we first saw symptoms, she died. That was a horrible shock with no warning.

We now have a holland lop, 4 months old, gender unknown. She has had slightly watery eyes and a runny nose since we got her, three days ago. No other symptoms. Do we need to do anything for her? Is this a concern? She was from a home on craigslist who had about 15 bunnies running around the kitchen in less than sanitary conditions. I wasn't very thrilled with that but eager to get another bunny for the kids.

We scrubbed the cage well in between rabbits and I sprayed it down with a water/bleach solution and let it dry in the sun.

I'd love to hear what you think!

Welcome and so sorry to hear about your experience with your lionhead.

The runny/eye nose is a concern and should be checked because there could be any number of issues involved. Worse case senerio, vision could be affected. A few causes of runny eyes: bacterial infection, malocclusion, tumor, blocked tear ducts, entropian (congential defect of the eye) . . .

Thank you for the welcome. Her nose isn't running anymore this afternoon and it's only one eye that is watering. Maybe it's nothing serious?

We always take new bunnies to the vet for a well-check. That way we know they are healthy and also don't want any thing spread to the others. Go see your Vet.

Just an update for those of you kind enough to chime in - we did take her to the vet and she got a full bill of health. The vet agreed that there was some wetness around her eye but said it was an normal amount and nothing indication that something was wrong.

Latest posts

Back