Is there such thing as a bunny brush?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizm

Reaction score
Help! The bunnies are giving birth to DUSTbunnies!...by the thousands! They are everywhere..in the air, under thesofa etc. and the kitty slicker brush isn't doing a good job. Their furis short and super fine, and the only way I seem to make progress is tobunker them down and (gently) pluck out the fur in small clumps. Theremust be a brush designed for fur so fine...?

Thanks, Elf Mommy! I have not tried the easygroom cat rubber brush, but I have been using the pink brush mentioned.I'm worried their fur may be too fine for the rubber brush, becauseI've had no success with the pink cat brush. Do you think a flea combwould be more effective?

Mine don't really like brushes, although I dohave the one that's packaged as a rabbit brush. It's the samething as a baby brush- really soft and fairly useless. Theydo like the grooming gloves. I bought the really cheap onesthat were gloves, not mittens. The mitten versions were asbig as my rabbit! The gloves have rubber on them that thehair sticks to and then I just peel it off. They are reallyhandy for small spots such as the back of the neck on my Polish, whereshe has trouble grooming and brushes don't fit well.

I just turn the vacuum cleaner on anduse the Zoom Groom Brush together. The vacuumcleaner picks up the loose and flyinghair, and it cleans off the brush while I'mbrushing. At times I pluck too. When I'mdone, I vacuum Pebbles and myself off. :p

Kong_zoom_groom_cat.jpg

Rainbows! :D

naturestee wrote:
..... I do have the one that's packaged as arabbit brush. It's the same thing as a baby brush- reallysoft and fairly useless.
We have a couple of those, too. Sometimes they refer to them as"petting brushes". I found that about the only thing they were good forwas to get the bunnies used to being brushed, but they help very littlein removing loose fur.

I prefer the wire bristled brushes for removingloose fur. You just have to be very careful not to be too rough on thebunsskin.

seniorcats wrote:
I use a variety of brushes - slicker brush, wet hands and ashed blade. The shed blade works very well on fine hair

inP019571_12a91.jpg
YES!! And they even work well on wirey hair!! LOVE to use these on my buns ;)

I don't remember what type of rabbit you have -sorry! I'm on an email list for lionhead breeders and we wererecently talking about grooming. One of the top breeders inthe nation for lionheads - uses a wig comb I think...something forwigs. She pointed out that for the really wooly breeds (andlionheads can be wooly in the mane area) - that the hair will breakwith a traditional brush/comb...

Peg

Hey, thanks everyone! I went to Petco in searchof the easy groom cat rubber brush, and guess what? They were almostsold out of everything! (Of course, lol,I missed theclearance sale)The entire grooming isle was empty exceptfor two brushes and a rubber cheek pad for cats which fell from itshook. I grabbed it! It's working pretty well--The rubber seems to actlike lots of fur-plucking-fingers and as mentioned, the pink catslicker works well to gather hair pulled by the rubber brush. If anyoneis in a similar situation, it's called "The Groovy Groomer" and as itturned out, it cost less than a buck! (But this may be due to theclearance sale). The backing is sticky so that the pad might be appliedto a wall for a cat to rub against and groom its face..(this seems likea useless invention since that's what black pants and couches are for)What's great is, the brissles aren't even as long as my finger nail, soit affectively grabs the short little bits of silky fur.

TinysMom wrote:
I don't remember what type of rabbit you have - sorry!I'm on an email list for lionhead breeders and we were recently talkingabout grooming. One of the top breeders in the nation forlionheads - uses a wig comb I think...something for wigs. Shepointed out that for the really wooly breeds (and lionheads can bewooly in the mane area) - that the hair will break with a traditionalbrush/comb...

Peg
Thanks, they're fuzzy lops....verrry fuzzy lops. I think their furwould be easier to gather if it were longer, but theirs is short hairedand fine enough to escape the brissles of traditionalhairbrushes..never heard of a wig combthough!

This is funny.... :D

I just turn the vacuum cleaner on and use the ZoomGroom Brush together. The vacuum cleanerpicks up the loose and flying hair, and it cleansoff the brush while I'm brushing. At times I plucktoo. When I'm done, I vacuum Pebbles and myselfoff. :p

Kong_zoom_groom_cat.jpg
Rainbows! :D

Lol, PetBunny, I bet vacuming them would work better than a brush! But,my bunnies are skittish and I think the noise would scare them. ...It'sall I can do to hold him down while I yoink the pesky balls of loosefur from his behind. *grunt!*....*stamp!* He spends the whole timetrying to open his cage door as I torture him with the petting andbrushing.
The rubber brush I bought looks very much like your zoom groom brush,only mine is shaped like a paw print! -- It's working pretty well!

I use a variety of brushes - slicker brush, wet hands and a shedblade. The shed blade works very well on fine hair
inP019571_12a91.jpg

Wow, Seniorcats, I wouldn't have thought this was a brush at all--where are the bristles/ how does it work?
I pet and pluck a lot.
Lol, yep!
You could try wetting your hand and petting her, then washing the fur off your hand.
Thanks, Shuu, but all this does is cause tiny amounts of fur tostick to my hand while leaving the bulk of loose fur protected underthe sturdy strands of fur. It's more like an undercoat, only his entirecoat happens to be the same texture.

Latest posts

Back