Is there something wrong?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling Lop Rabbitry

Reaction score
My one baby bunny, it is 2 weeks old and it just opened its eyes, but it doesnt seem normal, he is extremely active and i had him in the apple basket in the house when i was cleaninig up their eyes and he will kinda run around and then fall over all the sudden and his head is kinda floppy like he cant keep his balance is this normal?

nothing is wrong with the eyes, i brought the whole litter in too see if their eyes needed to be opened, there was nothing wrong with his eyes, they are ok they are both opened, its just the way he is moving

So it comes and goes, between activity and "floppiness" for lack of a better word? Or he is still pretty floppy and hasn't been active again?

How well has he been feeding? Is he smaller than the others or same size?

He eats just fine and he is the same size as the other bunnies, all of his activity is like floppy, he doesnt calm down after, he falls over gets back up and goes :/ Would him having floppy ears have anything to do with it?

No, the ears shouldn't matter. My mixed-breed foster babies all had half-floppy ears at this age and they didn't have problems. I mean, they weren't athletic or anything as this is like a "toddler" stage, but I wouldn't descripe their motions as floppy. Their heads might wobble slightly because they're so big compared to their weak, tiny bodies but again, not floppy.

Are any of the others moving around? Do they move the same?

There isn't much you can do if there is a problem with one so small. Let him develop. Keep an eye on him and try to protect him from getting hurt (if he flops over in a bad place). Make sure he is nursing and not getting pushed aside by the others.

He may just need a little time to get strong enough like the others... and may outgrow the problem.

Unfortunately, if there is a serious issue, there is not much you can do for him. Keep him warm and comfortable. Vets won't treat babies that young, there are almost no medications they can tolerate. And if there is a congenital birth defect, (nerve damage, heart defect, etc.) he may not make it.

He seems normaler today, like he shows reaction, he was the first to open his eyes, and i touched his ear and he turned and sniffed my hand and i did the same to the other ear, its just when he gets trying to go fast he falls over, and lets just hope he gets better :)

Ya know, they can be so clumsy and flopsy when their eyes first open... they see this big bright world they are in and they want to explore, but their little legs are just not strong enough yet, and they get tired so quickly! He may just need time to develop a little more.

Make sure he is warm and protected. Check on them after feeding and make sure he is getting his fair share. And give him time.... :)

If he's only two weeks old, I'd agree - he'd be very stumbly at that age. It might be that he's just more excited by the big wide world than hisw siblings, and he is so keen to get exploring, but his body doesn't do what he tells it to do.

Sorta like a human baby who flails around and accidently punches itself in the face :p.

Can I third that notion? :p I definitely have some youngsters that move far too fast for their own ability. Some buns at that stage are basically crawlers that crawl around checking out their surroundings. Some buns are trying to hop, not so successfully, and falling down often. I'd guess that your little guy is just full of energy but his poor little body isn't strong enough to move him around like he'd like. I'd give him some time to work on his motor development.

If it continues it might be neurological, but you wouldn't be able to do anything to fix that problem. I'd definitely say to think positively that the little guy is just full of energy and is clumsy. He might just be the most active bun when he grows up...maybe he can't understand why the others are moving so slowly. You wait....he'll end up being the bun that wants to run all the time and you'll never be able to keep up. LOL

Latest posts

Back