Is there something wrong with his urine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sox

Reaction score
I've had Sox for 2 weeks, and I've only ever seen his urine twice, the day he arrived he peed in the box he arrived in and another time, he peed on the floor before I manage to bring out his litter tray.

Sox uses Wonder Wheat in his litter tray. It's made of wheat, is flushable, environmentally friendly and is also edible if he chooses to.

I have notice that when I dispose of his litter tray, his urine on the wheat looks like brown sand. Initially I wasn't worried as I though it is just the wheat reacting to the urine. However as I read through rabbit documents off websites I stumble across words of sandy urine and the mention of sludge etc and may be rather concerning?

Last night I tried pouring water into the wheat litter and it doesn't look sandy like Sox's pee. Is this quite normal? Should I be concern? I think he is about 9 weeks.

Any advise appreciated.

Carol

At nine weeks sludge is unlikely. Bladder sludge is also usually white and more like toothpaste than sand.

To get a good look, though, just use newspaper with no litter for a day or two. You'll be able to see the color and texture. Also watch for any signs of straining or discomfort, or peeing outside the box.

Good on you for being such a concerned and attentive bunny slave! :)

sas :bunnydance:

Sox wrote:
I've had Sox for 2 weeks, and I've only ever seen his urine twice, the day he arrived he peed in the box he arrived in and another time, he peed on the floor before I manage to bring out his litter tray.

Sox uses Wonder Wheat in his litter tray. It's made of wheat, is flushable, environmentally friendly and is also edible if he chooses to.

I have notice that when I dispose of his litter tray, his urine on the wheat looks like brown sand. Initially I wasn't worried as I though it is just the wheat reacting to the urine. However as I read through rabbit documents off websites I stumble across words of sandy urine and the mention of sludge etc and may be rather concerning?

Last night I tried pouring water into the wheat litter and it doesn't look sandy like Sox's pee. Is this quite normal? Should I be concern? I think he is about 9 weeks.

Any advise appreciated.

Carol
i would be concerned anytime there is evidence of change/thou i am not familar with wonder wheat/.is this like wheat grass(hay)--that given (sand)-you say??.if this is true you may have caught an early bladder disease--treatment can usually be medical rather than surgical,,note any change in activity level,,here is a link to the house of rabbits http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/bladder-disease.html bladder disease and bladder stones in the rabbit by sue a.kestenman,dvm--sincerely james waller:pray:

Latest posts

Back