Is there an all round dewormer that would kill most worms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augustus&HazelGrace

Reaction score
Also, is there any that are safe for nursing does. I have a nursing doe that her babies are small and I think she may have worms, I just don't know what kind.

Panacur! That's what I couldn't think of earlier.

Fenbendazole, marketed under the name Panacur, eradicates most roundworms and cuniculi. Your vet might recommend treating your pet with this wormer a few times a year.

There's a rabbit version... first site I saw online that sold it, it's $20. You can get the horse version at a feed store for maybe $5. The standard rule of thumb I've heard countless times over the years is "a pea sized amount for a medium sized rabbit" but there IS some controversy over that dosage and an amount as small as a grain of rice can potentially be enough.

The only thing I can't find the answer to is whether it can be given while she's nursing. If you don't get an answer here, call your vet and ask them if it's safe to give a lactating doe - they can't charge you for a phone call, after all ;).

Safeguard liquid goat wormer (also called panacur) will treat stomach worms. You can also use ivermectin but need to be more careful with dosing, and probably should give probiotics with it. Which one you use depends on what type of worms you’re treating. Both can be bought at a feed store. Safeguard is well tolerated. We used it several times. You could check with a vet, by phone, to get exact dosing and verify if it’s okay for a lactating doe.

Good thing I work at a feed store, I will call the vet tomorrow on my way to work and then pick some up if they say it's ok!

She's kind of on the border between medium and large. I usually think of medium as 5-7 lbs. Regardless, I wouldn't give more than a pea sized amount. After all, it's the horse formula - a little bit goes a long way.

On a side note, that sounds like an awesome job working at a feed store!

Edit: majorv mentioned giving a probiotic if you give ivermectin... Honestly, it's not a bad idea to give it with the panacur either. A lot of times feed stores sell BeneBac or something similar, too.

I was editing my post at the same time that you were posting... Just want to make sure you saw the recommendation to give a precautionary probiotic regardless of which dewormer you go with.

Do not use the paste sold for large livestock like horses. It's intended for much larger animals and almost impossible to dose correctly with small animals like rabbits(for most people not experienced in mixing/compounding medications), and may not be mixed evenly throughout the tube which could lead to accidental overdose. I know of instances where an OD has happened with owners rabbits. If despite this warning you still intend to use the horse dewormer paste, I would make absolutely sure it is mixed evenly throughout by squeezing out the tube into a dish, mix it up well, then dosing needs to be based on how many mg of fenbendazole are in the tube measurement(which I believe is in grams), and I would calculate off of that the exact amount needed per the body weight of the rabbit. NEVER give an approximated pea or rice size dose. I would take the time and measure it out correctly. More than one rabbit has been overdosed and even died from toxicity due to giving a pea size amount of horse dewormer. And underdosing isn't much better as it just creates parasite resistance to the dewormer used.

I personally would use the safeguard goat dewormer liquid, 20mg/kg, and I would give once a day for 5 days straight, wait 10 days then give one more dose. The 5 days is recommended in some places as pinworms can be difficult to clear up and the 5 days is to make sure you get them all.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Pass/Pass_en.htm
http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Pinworms_inf_lagomorphs.htm

Dosing is based on the weight of the rabbit. Using the 100mg/ml suspension(shaken thoroughly beforehand), it comes to about 0.09ml per lb of body weight, or I would just round that up to 0.1ml/lb and give an 8 lb rabbit 0.8ml(always check with your vet for correct dosing).

Under the fenbendazole drug page it says it's generally considered safe for pregnant animals, but I have no idea about nursing ones, so like majorv said you should consult with your vet.

Probiotics are unnecessary with dewormers as probiotics are used to provide beneficial bacteria, and dewormers are antiparasitics not antibiotics. Though if you want to give it that's up to you and likely won't do any harm.

I'm so sorry for giving wrong advice :(. I didn't know about the goat stuff (which definitely sounds a lot safer) and was just repeating what I remembered hearing from breeders when I was active on these forums a few years ago. I'll make sure to note the things JBun mentioned so I have the correct info the next time this topic comes up!

I mentioned the probiotics simply because they're never a bad idea when there are tummy troubles... and while the antiparasitic won't kill off the good bacteria, the worms themselves could potentially affect the balance of the digestive system. Basically, they may or may not help but they won't hurt (and you can usually get them very cheaply at feed stores).

Yeah, this is old advice that keeps getting repeated and used by people. I have to keep correcting the info as it can be quite dangerous in some cases, especially when it's applied to the ivermectin paste. I just know of so many instances of overdoses occurring, non fatal with permanent disability and fatal, so I just had to hurry and get that corrected info out there when I read the thread.

I did already know that any advice like that re: ivermectin was very wrong, as ivermectin needs to be dosed VERY accurately while Panacur dosing has a little more wiggle room (I was just wrong about how much wiggle room). Anyway, I pride myself on not needing correcting often... but on the rare occasion my advice is wrong, I would definitely rather be told than continue to disseminate incorrect or even dangerous advice! I'll definitely remember about the goat drops in the future :).

Fenbendazole does have more of a margin of safety, but I have known of people that have used the paste and ended up ODing their rabbits making them sick, so just safer not to use it or recommend it. I mean technically the paste can be used, but it's better only those with experience use it to avoid mistakes, as it needs to be mixed and the dosing is a bit more complicated. The liquid just makes dosing so much easier, but the rabbits still hate it :p

The reason I recommended the liquid goat wormer was because you can get more accurate dosing. In our experience the rabbits had no gut problems with fenbendazole and may or may not with ivermectin. Benebac (found in a pet store) or Probios (found in a feed store) were the two probiotics we kept on hand.

Latest posts

Back