Is she scared

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnickersWay

Reaction score
I have started letting Snicker out in the hallway as it is carpeted and I have found that she does not do well on hardwood floors. Yesterday was her third time out, and everytime I put her there, she does not really explore. Maybe one or two little hops, then she huddles up next to the wall and stays right there.

So yesterday, I sat down on the floor with her, and had a little grooming session and after a few minutes she started to explore a bit more, then she would come back to me, sniff my jeans, groom herself, explore a bit more. I had to leave to change my laundry out and when I came back she was once again huddled up to the wall.

My question is she doing this because she is nervous, or scared.

LOL...she is like a big lump for the most part, last night she explored more, but only if I sat in there with her. She seems like a timid bunny, so maybe it will just take her a bit longer for her curiousity to really take over.

Some rabbits are never comfortable on hard flooring - Natasha simply won't go into the kitchen at all. She doesn't like the slippery nature of the linoleum. I wound up getting a rug runner at WalMart and putting it leading from the carpeted living/dining room into the kitchen so that she could hop in and watch me cook (and beg for treats).

Is there anything for her to do in the hallway or is it just an empty hallway? Try offering her a tunnel (or something tunnel-like, like a cardboard box with both ends cut out), something to hide in, something to chew on, etc.

I think giving her something to explore and somewhere she can hide and feel safe really might help encourage her to do something other than just sit there. I often feed Timmy his greens while he's out of his cage and I'll scatter them in different spots so he has to move around to get them.

My bun has free range of our kitchen, her cage is in the kitchen so she hops in and out. I have a box in the corner between the wall and her cage, its kind of hidden by the cat food container. She loves that box to sleep in. I also have a diaper box turned on its side that she goes in and out of. She likes to hide in the box and sneak attack anyone who walks by. There is also a blanket for her to lay on. I usually put paper towel rolls out for her to throw away and the little plastic cat toys with the bells in them. She loves to throw those around. She was a little hesitant at first about being out in the kitchen, but has since come around. Now she's all over the place and loves to be out.

So maybe some toys will help open her up, and like someone said a box may help. Sometimes if the dog is too rowdy the bun will go to her box and take a few minutes for herself. They need somewhere to feel safe and sheltered.
Good luck! Give her some time, she'll come around!

Our rabbit doesn't really like our wood floor, because she slips and slides everywhere. If we lay down a blanket on the floor and let her free, she will usually stay on the blanket. But if we give her nothing, she'll slowly hop around a bit exploring the things in the room. I think putting something in the hallway should help her a lot.

Lots of good ideals that I want to try for her. Yeah she just cannot really move on that wood floor, her feet slip and slid every wich way..LOL so a rug for her as well.

I really want to see her loosen up and run around like a crazy bunny.

Latest posts

Back