Is she just a "bunny"?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabine

Reaction score
When we bought our first rabbit, Coco, on inquiring what breed she was I was told in the shop she was just a "bunny". These "knowledgeable" people also sold her as a male to me and I have had two litters since but that's another story....
What I was wondering is there such a thing as a "standard" as mixed breeds seem to be classified in many shops. I am just wondering what mix of breeds are in Coco unless she is indeed a standard breed. Her colour I believe is fawn and it's nicely growing back since we had her spayed. She also has a very dark brown patch around the nose. it faded a lot in summer but appears to be coming back. I took a few pictures in the garden today. Can anyone give me any idea as to colour and possible breed(s)
P1200033.jpg

P1200031.jpg

With her daughter Magic who is three months now

P1200044.jpg

I love this last picture - I think she had enough of being photographed:
P1200045.jpg

She is a tort in color. Looks like she may have Holland Lop in her but that is a very popular guess due to their commanness. His the father of the daughter a lop? She has the classic lop mix ears. Very cute :)

Wabbitdad12- She is not a chestnut, tort looks nothing like chestnut and is in no way related. She is black tortiseshell if you want to get technical.

She could be a Cinnamon mix. Cinnamon's have a dark nose patch and ears, cinnamon colored hairs that have black tips to them, and the undercoat is grayish. They canbe a larger sized rabbit of around7-8 pounds unless you happened upon a dwarf with cinnamon coloring. I was going to include the link to the Cinnamon breed in the library, but there isn't very much information other than a link to view some one's show rabbits. Scroll down a bit to find the Cinnamons. What she could be mixed with, I do not know.

Hope that helps,

myheart

bunnybunbunb wrote:
She is a tort in color. Looks like she may have Holland Lop in her but that is a very popular guess due to their commanness. His the father of the daughter a lop? She has the classic lop mix ears. Very cute :)

Wabbitdad12- She is not a chestnut, tort looks nothing like chestnut and is in no way related. She is black tortiseshell if you want to get technical.

The black and white rabbit in the third picture is Coco's daughter Magic. Her dad is a German lop and has very similar markings (I always thought they were old English)

Are you sure black tortoiseshell refers to Coco and not to her daughter Magic.

In what way has Coco lop fearures? I had never thought of that. I thought Magic's mad ears are due to her father being a German lop

bunnybunbunb wrote:

Its a little difficult to tell from the picture, I have a couple of buns that I show that have similiar markings. I thank you for correcting me.

Looking at her she looks like a sooty fawn to me but then i could be wrong :?

i dont think shes a particular breed either butmaybe cross, alot of petshops will buy in peoples litters and theres so many people cross breeding all the time so its quite possible thats what she is... but shes gorgeous anyway no matter what.

What a cutie. She's adorable. How much does she weigh?

She looks to me like a tort. I went looking for the color "Cinnamon" (I've heard other rabbits called Cinnamon too - I didn't realize they were a breed). From what I can find out - Cinnamon is an agouti color (like Chestnut is). From what I understand (and I could be wrong) - sooty fawn is an agouti color too.

With agoutis - one thing you normally see is white around the nose. Here is a picture of my chestnut buck Harriet..

You can click on the photos for larger pictures....I was thinking I had better pictures of him.

Anyway - from what I can see of her - I lean towards thinking she is a tort. In addition, the fact that she had a broken black baby (white with the black markings) - leads me to believe she isn't agouti because those genes are dominant over the "self" genes which produce black / brown (basically - all one color) rabbits.

I'm going to send Pam Nock a link to this thread so she can check it. I know she's really busy now that school has started - but as an ARBA judge and someone who is great with bunny genetics - I know she can clear up any confusion and even explain it in plain English!

It's hard for me to guess what the rabbit might be due to the fact that it's from Ireland.

We can for certain say that it's a tortoise color, which is the same color that the US Cinnamon is. However, the Cinnamon is a commercial breed with a flyback coat and was developed relatively recently is the US. It's highly unlikely that any would be in Ireland, and the rabbit pictured doesn't have commercial type nor the Cinnamon coat.

Peek-a-boo mentioned the "sooty fawn" color, which is also another name for tortoise.

Lop mixes are very possible.

Pam

"Sooty fawn" I have come across before and "Agouti" which looked very close in colour to Coco. She is very likely a cross of all sorts of breeds. It's a shame pet shops don't keep a track of parentage so that you have some sort of idea. By the way in her last litter she produced one mainly white with orange specs and one orange white + four others with her colouring. None of them had the distinctive dark brown patch on her nose. This is the white one
P1010026.jpg

I am not sure what her weight is but I guess between six and seven pounds
P.S. There's certainly no white around her nose and the colour looks very unlike the Agouti in the picture but one of her babies from the second litter had a slightly white patch and was her colour

I think I'll settle for cinnamon/sooty fawn/tortoise (which I understand are more or less the same) but can't figure the breeds in her. I don't quite see the lop features but that's probably due to my lack of experience and inability to see past the ears.
Wabbitdad suggested Havana. I did look at a few pictures on google and must agree the head shape is very similar. I am just not sure how common the breed is in Ireland and how likely it is to own a cross bred Havana mix. By the way lops are also quite hard to come by, that's why my surprise of people seeing lop features in her. Magic on the other hand is undeniably lop (her dad's heritage) one ear is down permanantly. We are wondering if she is going fully lop being such a late deveLOPer:D

Dublinperky wrote:
I do wish that pet stores would care more. It is a shame that they don't keep track or anything.

Aly!:tongue
Pet stores would never care what breed or color they are because they aren't experts. They will lie to you of what breed they are just so you can buy the rabbit. Pet stores are in it for the money.

I have to saysomething indefence of pet stores (not the one I bought Coco in though: the sexed her wrong, recommended a guinea pig as a companion and sold us a hutch that would only be suitable for a guinea pig or a dwarf rabbit)

In my long search to find homes for Coco's babies I came across two places in particular. One of them was run buy rabbit breeders themselves and we spent ages chatting and exchanging information. They certainly did care where the rabbits came from and also said the sometimes didn't sell a rabbit if they didn't like the person. The other shop is a more modern one run by mainly young enthusiastic people with great knowledge of rabbits and other animals. All of them own animals themselves: several rabbits, chinchilas etc... I frequently stop there to chat about rabbits and eye up their new stock. They even stocked up on Timothy hay when I pointed them to a supplier they were already in business with. What I'm trying to say is they're not all bad and money grabbing.But the ignorance of some of their staff is sometimes quite appalling. You would think that someone selling living creatures should have some thourough training beforehand it's not as if they are selling toys.

bunnybunbunb wrote:

Just wanted to add, bunnybunbun, you were right, Coco must have Lop genes in her although I couldn't see it due to my lack of experience with breeds. One of the bunnies from her second litter (father NOT a lop) has started lopping her ears. So it must have been from Coco's side of the family. Magic's lopping ears (first litter, father a German lop) I always put down to the father's genes. So she has lop from both sides. Maybe that will mean the second ear will drop too:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back