Is she a dwarf?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kisha.princess

Princess
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388434327.988078.jpgImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1388434344.159750.jpg
I got her from the local pet store because we don't actually have a rabbit rescue nearby she's pretty small and she's about 7 months.
And tomorrow I'm getting a new rabbit as a friend for her. He's also 7 months but is considerably larger. I dot know if I would be okay for then to mate or not because of the size difference. Should I just get another girl instead?

I really recommend against breeding a rabbit you got from a pet store regardless - you don't know her genetic background, family tree/lineage or anything like that and pet stores aren't exactly reliable sources of breeding stock. Also, if breeding a large rabbit to a small one, you want the male to be the smaller of the two... otherwise, there's a much higher risk of a kit getting stuck (which can be fatal to both mom and the litter).

If you want to breed, I recommend doing a lot of research, asking a lot of questions in our "Rabbitry and Show Room" section and then, once you're ready, getting your breeding stock from reputable breeders.

Your rabbit will need to be spayed in order to have a companion of either gender - it's not safe for two unaltered rabbits to live together; BOTH need to be spayed/neutered (when breeding, the female is taken to the male's enclosure, mating happens under direct supervision and then the female is returned to her own enclosure - they're never companions and never allowed to live together).

Breeding a larger rabbit to a smaller rabbit is dangerous and life threatening. I would recommend getting another girl.

I do know what type she is I just didn't know if she had the characteristics of a dwarf. I'm not the one that is wanting to breed her I live with my grandma and she wants to breed her because she used to breed her rabbits.

Sorry for posting twice, am just getting used to this app :)

I mentioned in your other thread what I thought she was. It's hard to know if she's a purebred Polish or not, and while they are a small breed they aren't technically considered a dwarf breed. Assuming she has more Polish in her than anything else, she shouldn't get over 3 lbs. I agree that rabbits of unknown origin really should not be bred, and it would be unsafe to use a buck much larger than the doe.

She looks like a dwarf somewhat to me. I would be careful about getting a male much larger than her, but then again, male bunnies will hump teddy bears twice their size... :)

Make certain no matter what you do that she will be safe and won't come into any danger. I still have no idea how or why my Agouti mom died after giving birth and it just really freaked me out and I won't have any more baby buns in my house for a long time.. it was pretty traumatic... but keep us posted and I think she is beautiful!!

Vanessa

I'm no expert on breeds, but she does look dwarf to me because of her small ears and at 7 months she is nearly fully grown. How much does she weigh? My dwarf bunnies are around 3 pounds.

Please don't breed her as others have pointed out the problems with that. Also, I have three rabbits that do not get along with each other. You can't assume she and any other rabbits will get along. They can be picky about which rabbits they like and also until she is spayed, her hormones will be a factor in her bonding with another rabbit.

Latest posts

Back