Is Ruby small for her age?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moochyesh

Reaction score
Holland lop
Born 12/17/12
1 pound 5 ounces
Eats healthy and normal

She has the snuffles and is on baytril, but I feel like she is small for her age

She is on the smaller side, but not unusually so. Usually they bulk up a little more by about 6 months. She will likely weigh in around 2 lbs at maturity, I'd think.

my holland, Gazzles, was definitely bigger than that by 3+ months (I found she did the fastest growing between 8-12 weeks)... but then, she's turned out to be a bit on the larger side as hollands go (over 4 lbs as an adult).

the important thing is whether she feels appropriately filled-out for her frame, since if she's got a smaller frame, it's totally normal for her to weigh less. if she doesn't feel too skinny, her appetite is good, she's being fed a decent amount of pellets for her size and age and she's got unlimited access to hay, then there's nothing wrong with her and absolutely no reason for concern. as oakridgerabbits said, she's probably going to be on the low end of the "normal" range for hollands as an adult.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMF4c7CGl64[/ame]
This is her, Does she seam filled out?

what on earth is she doing, lol? I've never seen a bunny constantly tilt their head up like that before.

she's freaking adorable... looks a bit like a tiny Gazzles, coloring-wise. she looks to be a *very* healthy weight for her frame - not too slim/not too chubby. there's definitely nothing about her appearance that would make me concerned for her health - she looks perfect.

Last edited:
Haha! She has wry neck from her snuffles that we have been treating. Not sure if she will ever be "Normal" but she is so spunky I don't think she knows there is anything "Wrong" with her!

That's why I thought she may be small, because I have not noticed a difference in her now than when we first got her and because she is sick.

Glad she looks ok though =]

awww, poor little girl! :( I thought it was just some cute little quirk or maybe she was chasing something I couldn't see ><

I'm sorry she's having such problems... but yeah, weight-wise she looks great.

I love at the end how the other bunnies are like "we want to come out and play too". She does look a good weight, nice and filled out. How long has she been ill? It's possible that either she's just going to be small anyway, or being sick, she may not be putting on as much weight/growing as much than if she wasn't sick. She certainly looks like a real character.

Has been sick 3 weeks now, On our second does of baytril and she is getting better than she was!
Yes the other rabbits were jealous ! Ruby comes out alone beacause she is sick.
The others have a enclosure outside for during the daytime =]

are you treating her for the wry neck???
might not be "caused" by snuffles. mostly likely another cause....Not sure if baytril will treat snuffles. Not that snuffles really can be treated, all meds do is knock it down.

Being sick can strunt growth while they're on meds, but usually they will catch up later. I've had a handful of illnesses in babies over the years. They always seemed very small starting out, but caught up when they got closer to maturity. :)

Thanks for the info =]
Her neck has gotten better since she has been on meds for snuffles.

She's a really cute bun, and she looks like she's having a lot of fun running around.

Did your vet look into the wry neck being caused by e. cuniculi? It can sometimes occur at the same time as a snuffles infection.

Oh, she´s lovely and looks a good weight as well. Hope she recovers really soon. Yes, the buns at the end were so funny, hey, I want out too lol.

Latest posts

Back