Is no food the day of surgery normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhoosh

Reaction score
Just scheduled Moose's neuter and the woman who took my appointment said to not feed him anything after midnight the night before his surgery. Sounds normal for dogs or people, but a rabbit? Isn't it important they keep eating? I asked, even hay? And she just repeated no food. Do I follow her instructions?? The surgery is sometime in the morning after 9.

Rabbits should not be fasted before surgery. The risk with eating is that you (or an animal) can vomit and could choke on it. Rabbits cannot vomit, so there is no risk. There can be more risk to fasting them as they can go into GI stasis. Rabbits can have food right up until they go in for the surgery (like to the surgery room) and should have food when they wake up.

I would call them back and ask again. If they still insist to fast, ask to talk with the vet. If the vet insists to fast, find another vet if you can. Not fasting rabbits is pretty basic and any rabbit vet should know it. Some clinics do treat dogs and cats more, so a receptionist would say to fast and they might not know better.

Like Kate said fasting is no bueno for bunnies. Even my vet who normally sees dogs and cats knew to tell me to bring his food with him to the vet so they can make sure he eats right before and after surgery.

I agree with the above. Ask to talk to the vet and if they say the same thing about fasting, I would find another vet for this. If they don't know that, then I wouldn't trust them with a surgery.

Just had Derby neutered a month ago. Vet insisted that Derby have hay, pellets and water right up until he went into surgery and then right after before he was released and sent home. I agree if they insist on fasting, delay the surgery and find someone else. That is a definite red flag that they are NOT RABBIT SAVVY.

Unfortunately I don't have much choice in the vet. I'm doing it through the local rabbit rescue at a discounted price. I don't think this office gets rabbits often, they have only one rabbit savvy vet who has supposedly been approved by the program. I don't think the vet was in when I made the appointment and the girl didn't seem to know much more than I can only use my voucher on certain days, and when to drop off and pick up. I might call back tomorrow though and make sure... but I've basically already paid for it.

I would definitely try and talk to a manager or vet and hear from them that they know to continue feeding. It probably is just the girl wasn't aware but I would feel bad if anything happened because they didnt feed him. Also bring in food and his favorite hay when you take him to encourage eating after the surgery.

gwhoosh wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have much choice in the vet. I'm doing it through the local rabbit rescue at a discounted price. I don't think this office gets rabbits often, they have only one rabbit savvy vet who has supposedly been approved by the program. I don't think the vet was in when I made the appointment and the girl didn't seem to know much more than I can only use my voucher on certain days, and when to drop off and pick up. I might call back tomorrow though and make sure... but I've basically already paid for it.

Was this this through Gainesville? If it is, let me know which vet - we need to know about this and have a talk with them.

Hi everyone, here with an update!

This was through GRR at Hilltop in Alachua. I asked a second time when they confirmed my appointment about fasting and the lady insisted he fast. I told her this is dangerous for rabbits so she finally talked to a tech who confirmed he can be fed up till surgery. When I arrived, the techs I spoke to and who took him all knew he should eat and were knowledgeable about rabbit care and surgery. So I'm not worried about those working with the rabbits there, but had I not been suspicious about that, Moose would have had a bad time. Other rabbit owners might not realize and fast their rabbits... I think they just need to brush up their receptionist on rabbit care.

Everything went great. I opted for post surgery pain meds that were easy to give him. He came home the same day and was TOTALLY out of it, but each day he perked up and was back to normal after 2 days or so. He's currently playing and running bunny 500 :)

So so glad he's finally neutered!! His behavior has improved so much. He plays and explores instead of just trying to get with Rilee. His potty behavior is GREAT, he used to leave territory poops everywhere. He's less destructive, just a good bunny!! Having him out is a joy now, not a chore. Thanks so much to everyone who helped us - especially the BUNS program!!!

Glad to hear it all went well. And Moose sounds so much better for it. Thrilled how well he's doing getting rid of those dirty hormone habits.

Shame about the receptionist. Definitely needs a course on Rabbits 101. Fasting can really hurt a rabbit as their system must keep going 24/7. Good for you for bringing that to the attention of the Techs.

K

Back