Is neutering absolutely necessary?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minilopbun

Reaction score
Hi everyone, its been a while since I've posted. My bunny Baci is almost 1 already!!!! His birthday is in December and so far he has been the absolute best!! He's so sweet and playful and his liter habits are really amazing. I've been putting off getting him neutered because I'm just nervous that something could go wrong and I don't want his personality to change at all. Now, I know that if I were to get another rabbit he would definitely need to be neutered, but I don't plan on getting another. He spends plenty of time with me and my sisters in our busy house and loneliness isn't an issue at all. So, do I really need to get him neutered?

Getting a rabbit neutered is generally good for their health and not nearly as serious as being spayed. My boy bun is fixed and happy and as sweet as the moment I first laid eyes on him. I hope this comforts you a little ☺

Considering he's a year old, if he isn't causing behavior problems then it's up to you whether you want to get him neutered or not. There is a possibility that neutering can cause a change in behavior because there was a poster on here about a year ago who was asking for help because her sweet male rabbit did a Jekyll & Hyde change on her after he was neutered. You may want to do some research before you make the decision.

I agree with majorv, that a personality change is always possible, so you need to factor that into your decision. I have a bun that isn't quite as friendly after his neuter, though he is still a nice boy. But I got him neutered so he could live with his mom and siblings.

Since your bun isn't having hormonal issues that are causing problems and you don't plan on bonding, personally I don't see a point in going through the expense or risk. Males don't have the high risk of reproductive cancer that female rabbits do(though of course there is some possibility of it occurring), so it's not as essential to get them fixed.

I personally think its necessary and it would be better for him to have a friend because humans cannot give the same companionship that another bun can.

Thank you for your input everyone! But since it isn't detrimental to his health as it would be for a female, I think agree with JBun that it's not worth it. He's a perfect little boy the way he is so I'll try to keep it that way :)

Well, I have two boys and a girl. One of my boys, I adopted when he still had stitches from his neuter and he's quite mean unless he's scared, then he want to cuddle until he's calmed down. My girl just had babies and she's turned into a total sweetheart. She will be spayed in a few weeks. My other boy, is the father of the babies and he is super sweet, not neutered.

I agress that it's not absolutely necessary for boys. The most common reason for neutering boys is for behavioural improvements and to stop them from spraying, I have also have an intact male who didn't spray or show any hormonal behaviours. Yes there is a slight risk for cancer, but I don't think it's too high in the boys for it to be much of a concern. Boys can be neutered for several years older than yours already is, so if problems begin in the next year or two it won't be too late to change your mind. :)

Back