Is my rabbit full Flemish Giant?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no one can truly tell you what your rabbit is UNLESS the breeder specified what breed when they sold bunny to the pet store. If breeder didn't specify, bunny could literally be ANYTHING. Most likely large breed crosses, but sometimes breeding small breed to large breed.. you get large breed, sometimes small breed can give you big breed.

Your bun could be anything.

Pedigreed breeders also sell to pet stores, as do mixed breed folks. So it's no proof of anything from where you got him.

I would definitely say your rabbit is most likely a mix but agree with others that without knowledge of the parents heritage or maybe pictures of them a breed cannot be for sure. Everyones guesses are just complete opinions. When rabbits of different color or breed are mixed characteristics of those breeds are so sensitive that they generally do not hold true to the future generation (this is especially true when the parents are a poor representation of their breed). Some characteristics can hold true but often times with careless breedings they do not. Flemish have huge ears and I really dont see that on your boy. Also if he is only 5-7 lbs estimated then that would mean he is pretty young (no older than 7-8mos) although his face seems to suggest he is older.

As for your other bunny He looks like a netherland dwarf or dwarf mix for breed and his color would be called himalayan or pointed white. A himalayan is an actual breed but yours looks nothing like them. Ill attach a picture of a himi dwarf so you can compare. Nethies have been specifically bred for short ears and bulldog heads but in one litter you can have babies with long ears and narrow faces.

To FreezeNkody I definitely see satin and not flemish in your boy. Here is a picture of a copper satin rabbit that looks very similar. Satin fur is a recessive gene and by the luster and sheen of your boys coat just from pictures I would say he is not a mix unless both sides carried satin fur.

REACTION_4_9_09.jpg

CARcopperbuck.jpg

Last edited:
If he's not a pure flemmie it's ok :) I still love him. I did see the parents both were about 15-19lbs he does have a slight calico coloring. He does have a slight sheen. Could it be just baby fur? Hes about 4 months old he weight slightly under 7lbs.

Hahaha. I boop it and he shakes his head in disgust. He HATES his nose touched. It's weird lol

Thank you for all the information! She definitely has the personality of a flem, she's nuts haha. I wish I knew her history. I just really get interested in things like that. ):

Aww, she's very cute :)

One thing you'll want to think about doing, is increase her pellet amount. Growing babies should get close to unlimited pellets. Typically a small Holland lop gets a half cup pellets per day, so you can imagine how much more a much larger Flemish baby should be getting. I would think it might be somewhere around 2-4 cups a day, along with unlimited hay. I've never had a Flemish, but if you figure a growing baby gets usually double what a grown adult would, and the average adult might be about 16 lbs, and get around 1-2 cups pellets, depending on what pellets you feed and if you feed hay. Some people will feed unlimited pellets to their babies, but I like to ensure mine are also eating enough hay, so I will usually feed enough to last til 3 hours before their next feeding, and I feed twice a day. That way, in the 3 hours that they don't have pellets, they will eat their grass hay. If you do increase pellets, it's best to increase gradually over a few days.

Thanks jbun! I have read lots of different things on how to feed flemmies and I'm pretty sure what you suggested is the most reasonable. I read to go by their weight and every 5 lbs feed a half a cup so they don't get overweight. I have no idea. I did a ton if research on her though because I want to give her the best possible after she had to be in that tiny cage. ): she hates being picked up too. She absolutely hates it. So I believe no one has handled her. It's very difficult to pick her up let alone calm her down after I try and pick her up ):

Latest posts

Back