Is my bunny deaf?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikki8jean

Reaction score
Nothing seems to startle him and he doesnt seem to notice loud noises. Doesn't flinch when I call his name or make a noise or anything! You would think with those big ears he would be able to hear everything!! Is this normal for bunnies?
310.jpg
" alt="">

Am not experienced with rabbits but we had a deaf guinea pig i bashed a tambourine out of his sight and nothing so fair to say he was deaf !!(He was a rescue piggie and we were never sure of his age it could have been old age!)How old`s your bun? Still a fab piggie in all ur eyes ,but maybe you should sometime get vet to check it`s not anything else that could be treated

He could be. I guess it depends on his normal environment. If it is normally active with lots of noises he may just be use to them. Though if it is normally not loud and there is a loud noise and he doesn't react, I would wonder if he was deaf. I thought my one bunny was deaf once but I learned that she really is relaxed and just doesn't care. I would try things like shake a treat container and see if that gets his attention. When he isn't looking at you talk to him or call his name and see if he turns his head. He may just be relaxed and in his own world.

I wonder..hmm...we have 2 parrots so he hears that a lot but I dont remember him reacting to that even when we brought him home. I hold him so he can't see my husband and he screams close behind him and he doesnt even flinch!

Flops is usually pretty non responsive when i try to get his attention verbaly.

Flops....floooops..
Little guy! hey flops!
FLOPS!!!.....
Nothin lol

Try playing some animal noises around him on youtube or something.
If he doesn't respond to them then I would be very suspicious!

we have a Lop that nothing bothers--all the others are wide-eyed at noises but he doesn't react. We used to kind of wonder, til we picked up the treat bag--then his ears went up and so did he. He also sleeps more than all the other rabbits combined--we check to see if he is breathing for peace of mind.

Yeah, we thought Emma was deaf for a while too...her ears won't move an inch if you talk to her or clap, but she hears the food & treat bags enough to come running. She also hears coughing, because if someone is sick and coughs around her she gets upset.

Maybe his is just relaxed. He is always sleeping or laying down somewhere in my house. He just spraws out anywhere and takes a break. Nothing scares him

My Tupper is deaf, and he is a Holland Lop too! My husband has been wondering if something in the breeding of Hollands make them more susceptible to become deaf? It would make sense since yours may be deaf, and I know Tup is.

My cousins' had a deaf BEW holland lop. He was a bunny used at a college in Lexington to study deafness or something. Anyway, a friend got him for their son for his birthday. He was like 4, but his parents cared for him. That had him about two years before he just died.

Latest posts

Back