Is my bunny a Flemish Giant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahrabbit

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new bunny owner. I just got him a couple of weeks ago... and the previous owner told me he was a 3 month old flemish giant... but he was/is very small and probably only weighed a pound... (now, probably around 3- these are just guesses though) which I have been reading everywhere, seems to be too small for 3 months old?

Also, he has sandy colored fur (with a white underside)... and I only found that Flemish Giants can have this fur color? Is this true? Plus, from the other pictures I have looked at online... he seems to look like a flemish giant to me... Anyways, I am basically curious if he is a flemish giant or not?!

I'll attach a picture...:brownbunny
And you can look at his YouTube videos if you'd like at:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyFQkWOsCAPhSE_T6ctacBw

DSC_0002.jpg

The face and ears look like one! But I've never personally had one or know much about the breed really, so maybe someone who does can help you out more. There's always a chance he's a mix of flemish and something else. That said, 3 months is still pretty much babyhood and flemmies do take up to a year to get to their full size, so he has a long way to go yet.

I am by no means an expert but he does remind me of my flemmie at that age. My flemmies parents were both large, the dad was huge. He was the runt and certainly did not get his parents large size.

Flemmies come in a variety of colors including sandy. To me your boy looks like agouti which is what my flemmie is as well.

He is so cute! He almost looks like an older version of my little guy. :) And my bunny is now having some of his fur turn black....

Yes after seeing all these pics of other older flemmies... my little guy looks very much like a flemmie! And does Agouti mean it has like some black fur mixed in?

not only Flemmish giants can have chestnut agouti colouring, many rabbits can. To know for sure if your bun is a flemmish you are going to need to let him grow out a bit. Some flemmish don't get very large but most do. If he stops growing at 12 lbs, probably a mix. If gets larger than that... probably flemmish.

With agouti they can have areas that look black. When buns shed or molt their colors can change. My guy was grey when I got him but changed to agouti and has stayed that color since. When he molts he will get darker areas that look like very unusual black markings.

...seems to be too small for 3 months old...[/url]

He does seem really small for a Flemish. We raise fawn colored Flemish and here are a few pictures of the same rabbit on the scales. One at 3 weeks and the other at 10 weeks of age.

IMG_2201.jpg

img_2325.jpg

He looks like one to me XD same ears and face. My boy isn't that large for a Flemmy either. About 12 lbs or so.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1384353555.065333.jpg

He's also the otter color. His mother was the moulted grey and white. And his father was the same color as yours. So I'm not sure where Tux's color came from haha

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

In my opinion he's too young to tell. Baby rabbits pretty Much look all the same when they are young. As they hit 6 mos or older you should be able to tell better.

Chestnut agouti and sandy are the same color. Chestnut agouti has many names in different breeds. Examples are sandy in Flemish, castor in mini Rex, and gray in Dutch. The color description for chestnut agouti is:
Surface color is to be rich chestnut brown ticked with jet black tipped guard hairs. Intermediate band is well defined orange over a dark slate-blue undercolor. The chest is to be light brown over a dark slate-blue undercolor. Nape of the neck is to be orange with ears laced in black. Eyes are brown. The belly should have a slate blue undercolor as well.

Back