Is Lucy really a Mini Rex?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoh

Reaction score
6 1/2 pounds! But to me she doesn't look overweight, I have never had a bunny before thoughso I'm not an expert.

Lucy017.jpg

I know that they can be a mini but no have the dwarfing gene but I was also told that she might have been switched at the store with a litter that weren't mini rex's. Does she look like a mini rex? Does she look over weight? I just started measuring her pellets at 1/2 cup, I know she wasn't getting that much before I started measuring. I had been just filling the bottom of her bowl twice a day but she always seemed to be hungry so I thought I should start measuring. She also gets unlimited hay and veggies once or twice a day. Is 1/2 cup to much, she does seem to be more content with it than she was when I was just guessing. Gosh, was I starving her?

Joy

She is definately a Rex...and probablya Mini rex. She does not look like you were starving her (inspite of what she might be telling you!).

Since mini rex were bred down from standard rex, sometimes they are not as small as we would like. That doesn't make them any less lovable!

She is beautiful! (Broken Castor?)

My Mini Rex get 1/3 cup of pellets a day, no more, but all the hay they want.

She looks great!

She's right in between Mini Rex and Rex weight, so it's impossible to tell if she's a large Mini Rex or a small Rex unless we have information on her lineage. Since Mini Rex are more common, it's more likely that she's a large Mini Rex.

Pam

She's GORGEOUS!

Of course her weight would keep her from being shown mini-rex but she's really pretty!

OH and I've heard that most mini-rex think they need feed all the time. Most bunnies do, but mini-rex for some reason have huge appetites! LOL!

BlueGiants wrote:
She is definately a Rex...and probablya Mini rex. She does not look like you were starving her (inspite of what she might be telling you!).

Since mini rex were bred down from standard rex, sometimes they are not as small as we would like. That doesn't make them any less lovable!

She is beautiful! (Broken Castor?)

My Mini Rex get 1/3 cup of pellets a day, no more, but all the hay they want.

I'll start giving her 1/3 of a cup a day, I just measured out the amount that I was giving her before I upped it to 1/2 cup and it was about 1/3 of a cup so I will stick with that even though she thinks she's STARVING!

Thanks everybody,

Joy

Hey, your Lucy is just like our duo! :bunnydance: *is excited*

I also wondered if our furkids were Mini or standard! I looked it up online and in books and came to the same conclusion that Pam said: yes, they're Mini Rexes, they're just larger. The important thing is that they look healthy for their weight, not skinny, but notfat either. Both Bender and Lily are around the 6 lbs. mark:

Bender:
n54800271_30400973_5979.jpg

Lily:
n54800271_30377434_3248.jpg

We've kind of wondered about Cinnamon, we know for sure she's a Castor Rex, but not much else--her weight has fluctated. When I worked at a wild bird store, she totally porked out over seven pounds having all the access to spilled birdseed she could ever want. When we started monitoring her diet she's now six and a half pounds (and a lot more active). But we're not sure if she's mini or regular.

Regardless, she's beautiful to us. I love rexes--they have a body built for cuddling. Once you start stroking that soft fur, you just can't stop.

order-727560.jpg

Bo looks overweight but he's not. His fur is so thick it's deceiving. I believe Pam once told me that if I could feel his backbone easily he was not overweight.... (I could be misquoting her as having said that.... )

Bo actually has ribs I can feel easily - You'd never know it from looking at his fat mini-rex tummy. He also has a little line like a dewlap (they aren't supposed to have those as males) and lots of hair so he looks as if he has a turtleneck sweater on.

I want him to lose a bit of his tummy - but only if he does it by excercising. I won't cut back on his food now - he's on 1/4 cup per day plus unlimitedhay and a small (craisen/cheerio/banana piece that size) treat a day.

myboybobo.jpg

I've always considered Mini Rex to be therapy rabbits. No one can stay mad or upset while stroking the Rex fur.

We took several Mini Rex to the Nursing home and put them on people's laps, just to sit and pet. The rabbits were happy, but if you could have seen the look on those people's faces, they were blissful. The therapy aides told us that a man that hadn't spoken in several months told them about his pet rabbit when he was a kid. They are wonderful bunnies.

Personality Plus in a little package!

Wellllllll, right now, Lexi is really mad at Bo. He must have smelled Burt's Bees lip balm on her and maybe Tony.... and he bit the (*&%$(*& out of her right on the mouth!

I had to put liquid bandage on it to keep it closed....

I'm sort of frustrated with this biting thing he's been doing. :X

She just picked him up from playing. I think it ticked him off for one thing. I just wish I could find a way of stopping his biting. I do the cover the head thing. Lexi just put him down and cried. (it hurt but she is definitely dramatic but it did bleed).....

Bo hates Tony. HATES him. He tried to kill him the first day. We thought Tony was a girl so we didn't think it would be an issue since he was so good with Clover. He's always bitten when he smells a male. He's so mean about that!

Yep. She had a different hoodie on but she had the same shirt, and I'm sure she had his smell on her neck - plus the minty burt's bees....... HE HATES mint. It's like strawberries... it needs murderized.

Sorry about highjacking Lucy.... you have a brat cousin. LOL!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Yep. She had a different hoodie on but she had the same shirt, and I'm sure she had his smell on her neck - plus the minty burt's bees....... HE HATES mint. It's like strawberries... it needs murderized.

Sorry about highjacking Lucy.... you have a brat cousin. LOL!
No problem, I love hearing about all of the other NOT SO MINI rexes. I'm sorry Lexi got bit, I hear ya about being dramatic both of my girls are the extra same way. Which is why Lucy became my bunny, Lucy is not a sit on your lap, lovie dovie type of girl. Everything is on her terms and don't you dare pick her up. She was suppose to be my daughters, well after a couple of nibbles and scratches she became my bunny and we have been happy ever since. My husband and I love her to bits and she never bites us! LOL!

That's great! I think that's why Bo is so nippy with me tho - I hold him a lot and then hold Tony and it's made him very jealous. Bo was my children's bunny too - then he and I got along better........ LOL!

Lexi's almost 12 - how old are your girls? The drama is so ....... dramatic! lol.

Lexi doesn't realize that when they are first out (and they had missed a day unfortunately) they are really hyper. They want to play and not be picked up. Later on tho, he had his stacking cups and he was trying so hard to get her to notice him throwing them but she wouldn't even acknowledge him. My son tried to play stacking cups with him and he refused.....

I also believe that mini-rex tend to be very jealous. Bo went after the cat for getting to close to me the other night. I iz hiz! lol!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
That's great! I think that's why Bo is so nippy with me tho - I hold him a lot and then hold Tony and it's made him very jealous. Bo was my children's bunny too - then he and I got along better........ LOL!

Lexi's almost 12 - how old are your girls? The drama is so ....... dramatic! lol.

Lexi doesn't realize that when they are first out (and they had missed a day unfortunately) they are really hyper. They want to play and not be picked up. Later on tho, he had his stacking cups and he was trying so hard to get her to notice him throwing them but she wouldn't even acknowledge him. My son tried to play stacking cups with him and he refused.....

I also believe that mini-rex tend to be very jealous. Bo went after the cat for getting to close to me the other night. I iz hiz! lol!

My girls are 19 and 13, the 19 year old (Nickie) was suppose to be Lucy's mom. My youngest Kaity has a guinea pig that she mothers. Kaity use to call Lucy the bunny from he-- because every time she tried to pick her up Lucy would have a fit, well HELLO don't pick her up! You wouldn't believe how long it took that to sink in. Once Kaity excepted that Lucy didn't want to be picked up and stopped trying Lucy warmed right up to her. Lucy wants lots of love but only while sitting on the floor or couch, she will sit forever for grooming/petting as long as she doesn't think you are going to pick her up. I tried to pick her up the other day to look at her butt (different story) and you would have thought that I had committed the ultimate sin with all of the kicking up going on and I never did get a look. I take her to the vet to get her nails done and to get weighed, she's an angel for them...little ****! LOL!

Sounds like Tony! He HATES being picked up. Now, Bo - he's fine with it sometimes. Mostly with me tho. I also think he recently (since Tony) learned that he gets a reaction from biting - he gets put down. So I refuse to put him down if he nips me.

Some of them are just funny about stuff. Clover won't bite, but she will scratch and jump and freak out if we try to pick her up. Tony - you just never know what he's going to do but he really hates the "pick up" part - If he can jump on you or something he's not bad. He just doesn't sit still for long usually.

We had a gerbil from H*ll. She bit and threw a fit all the time. We miss her terribly! She was funny!

Does Lucy like to lay around and get petted? Most mini-rex love to get that sort of attention.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Sounds like Tony! He HATES being picked up. Now, Bo - he's fine with it sometimes. Mostly with me tho. I also think he recently (since Tony) learned that he gets a reaction from biting - he gets put down. So I refuse to put him down if he nips me.

Some of them are just funny about stuff. Clover won't bite, but she will scratch and jump and freak out if we try to pick her up. Tony - you just never know what he's going to do but he really hates the "pick up" part - If he can jump on you or something he's not bad. He just doesn't sit still for long usually.

We had a gerbil from H*ll. She bit and threw a fit all the time. We miss her terribly! She was funny!

Does Lucy like to lay around and get petted? Most mini-rex love to get that sort of attention

Oh, she loves that. If she is in the right mood she will lay forever getting petted. It's all about everything being on her terms. " feed me NOW" " you can pet me now" " I would like me ears rubbed NOW" She doesn't like to be made to do anything. I just started putting her food dish on the edge of her litter box, the first couple of times I had to give her a little boost into the box so that she got the idea, she would turn on me with THAT look like she was saying " Hey, what the heck did you do that for I was eating fine from OUTSIDE the box, whats a little poop on the floor" Now, after a couple of days she eats from inside the box every time.The only times she reallys gets grumpy is when we try to pick her up, other than that she is great we just love her to bits. I don't know how I ever got along before I discovered buns, they just have a way about them. I don't think I will ever be without again. She always makes me feel better, she is calming yet can be a riot at the same time. She makes me laugh everyday, that's more than I can say about my two teenagers some days. LOL

Joy

Back