Is it wrong to not take your Rabbits outside to play?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitlover08

Reaction score
Both my rabbits have been outside before and seem to love it, the fresh air, grass, open world, probably helps their natural instincts kick in as well! They actually dug burrows outside in an enclosed area of our yard last summer and were crawling down into the ground! I reached my hand down when they weren't in there and the hole was deep! They haven't been outside in almost a year, since last summer/fall.

I currently live in the country but am going to be moving to the city to an apartment building right downtown within the next month or so and my question is, is it wrong if they might not be able to go outside again for a long time, or however long I stay there? I plan on letting them free roam the apartment but think it will be very hard to be able to get them anywhere outside to play being right in the city. So in a way I feel kind of bad..

Thoughts?

We appreciate it

Mine take turns being outside, I bought several dog exercise pens with high sides like these- http://www.vebopet.com.au/pics/PPE009/h.jpg. I set it up in my backyard which also has a fence. I think its really good for them to have sunshine and fresh air. I live in New Zealand so there are no Foxes or Racoons or predators. I only have to worry about other peoples cats but since I have dogs they never come in my yard.

I think the important thing is not the "outside" itself, but how entertained and happy the bunnies can be. Being outside provides a sense of freedom, new things to see, smell and explore, and lots of open running space. If you can give your bunnies those same qualities of life in an apartment, I don't think they'd be unhappy.

My Merlin (recently got a new rescue, but let's use the one I raised) has never been outside. I live in a city apartment too! But I give him lots of freedom, free run of the apartment during the day, and include him in all sorts of householdy things, like putting away new groceries (he gets a nibble) and mealtimes (he gets more nibbles), and he's never seemed bored or unhappy. I'm sure your two will do just fine!

Latest posts

Back