is it true?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystic

Reaction score
Is it true you shouldn't reach into a rabbits cage? what if you have them living in a play pen? just some questions that have been bothering me.

You can reach in but be careful when the hormones set in, you might get some cage aggression.
I would assume since the bunny is a tiny baby, right? You're the right person right? Anyway, since its a tiny baby, you probably don't have anything to worry about with hormonal behavior.
I think they say not to reach into cages with the rabbits in there because its "their" personal special safe space, but I think everyone reaches into their rabbits cages.
If there is a way to let the baby out while you clean the pen then maybe do that, so not to stress him out. I always let Ellie out to clean her cage, not because she's aggressive but because her cage is awkward.
Or if you have a box in there for the baby to get into while your cleaning or whatever, then that would be nice for the bun.

Might be different by breeds, but in my own experience I do reach in whenever I have too. They might dislike it but thems the breaks, I got things to do, like feed them, give them treats and clean up.

I've read two schools of thought on the matter (like everything having to do with rabbits it seems) that I like to think of as the soft and hard approach. The soft apporach teaches to leave the rabbit be as much as possible while the hard approach says assert repeatedly until they get used to it. I do both, I let them come and go as they please but sometimes I force the issue. I sometimes treat to get my way and other times I just do what has to be done.

I'll say this however, my rabbits are friendly with me but they positively love my wife who never takes a hard approach with them. At times though she suffers because of it. So she might have gotten their love (sigh) but I think I got their respect.

Some rabbits will become cage aggressive (this is generally how you end up with the "oh yeah we had a rabbit and it lived in the backyard and we fed it once in a while and he was mean; whenever I wanted to pet him he would bite me" sort of scenario. I agree that you have to learn how to handle your rabbit safely so that, say in an emergency, you are able to pick them up and carry them wherever they need to go. That said, in general it's best if you let your rabbit come to you on your own terms. If your bunny has a pen that it lives in, try giving it a safe spot where you don't go in and pry it out, maybe a hidey house or something, but rather you tempt them our with some pellets or a delicious piece of parsley.

Thanks every one! and yes they are little baby buns right now, so they let me reach in and pet them but they don't seem to care for it lol

Latest posts

Back