is it true?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zweistein

Reaction score
i just saw this clip

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEB3GdTU3fo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEB3GdTU3fo[/ame]

is what the lady here says true?

(im talking about the nerve at teh back and that they go to sleep when you turn them)

And can I just say- I don't think I've ever heard the work 'spastic' used soooo many times in just a few minutes lol!
I'm not surprised the kits and trying to hop away- I'd hop away from that squealy/screechy voice of the kid:?. That's enough to make anyone feel uncomfortable!

Jen

thanks for the link jcottonl02 :)
im sorry for making a new thread but i wouldnt find it even by searching :p

Possibly....but how limited is a vocabulary? This rabbit looks spastic. Okay....you've made you point.

Say it another 15 times though, just incase we didn't get you first time! :p

ETS- doesn't the word 'spastic' come from a physically challenged person? So I would have thought that anywhere it would offensive...

Jen

zweistein wrote:
thanks for the link jcottonl02 :)
im sorry for making a new thread but i wouldnt find it even by searching :p

Oh no probs at all. I thought it would be easier you reading through that then me trying to explain it again- i'd probably miss vital points etc :)

Jen

Spastic isn't offensive in the US. It's just used to mean flailing around or having spasms. Acting in an erratic manner. It doesn't have the connotation with physically challenged people really, even though that's where it originated.

elrohwen wrote:
Spastic isn't offensive in the US. It's just used to mean flailing around or having spasms. Acting in an erratic manner. It doesn't have the connotation with physically challenged people really, even though that's where it originated.
It also refers to a type of paralysis. Spastic Paralysis is where the effected limbs/joints are rigid and unmovable , where Flaccid Paralysis is where the effected limbs hang limp and is easily moved by an outside source.

True, but I don't know anyone who would consider it a curse word or offensive in anyway. Just a descriptive term that can be used for a lot of things (medical or otherwise)

elrohwen wrote:
True, but I don't know anyone who would consider it a curse word or offensive in anyway. Just a descriptive term that can be used for a lot of things (medical or otherwise)
Absolutely. I love languages and cultures and I think it's so interesting that it can be such an offensive word.

Agreed!

I grew up in Pittsburgh and my dad teaches classes the University of Pittsburgh. He got my young cousins in Sweden "Pitt" baseball caps, until my aunt told him that "pitt" is a bad word in Sweden, so maybe the hats weren't the best idea :p

Btw can I just clarify that I don't have a problem with the word myself, even though I would never use it, just marvelling at how often it could be said in one minute lol!

:p
Jen

Lol!

In Ireland if you said to someone ''you spastic'' it would be taken as an insult, unless of course you say it to your friend or something joking :p

It's considered rude here too (unless used in a friendly joking sense), because it refers to the physical disabilities here. Like calling someone...I dunno....a name that related to Autism or something.

Jen

Only Pippin can be tranced- and that is only for 20seconds at the very most, before he 'snaps' out of it and leaps over again.
Benji will have none of it :) and promptly tells me 'I will NOT be turned over' by boxing me away whenever I try and do it. But he is very good when it comes to clipping nails etc. so I don't really need to trance him.

There is a bit of controversy going on about trancing rabbits. Is it good? Does it calm the rabbit and de-stress it, while you do necessary health checks? Or does it totally stress the rabbit out and put it under 'Tonic Immobility'- a type of temporary paralyis?
Sometimes trancing is necessary, as the only other option with a fiesty bun is to anasthatise them, which comes with risks etc. and you don't want to have to do that unless it's a last resort.
So for nail trims/teeth checkups etc. if you have a fiesty bunny that won't let you look, sometimes trancing is necessary.

However, in the papers it has recently been broadcast, with pictures of rabbits being tranced and then left on a table while the camera crew takes pictures- I don't agree with this at all, and worry it might inspire inexperienced rabbit owners to try this, or even trance the bunny for the fun of it.
This 'Rabbit Whisperer' in the papers insists it is totally relaxing for the rabbit, and it calms them down, and inspires trust between the owner and the rabbit, however many groups such as the RSPCA, and Rabbit Welfare Association were shocked at this, and are totally against the idea of trancing a rabbit.

As we are not positive whether this is a relaxation thing for the bun, or a stressful experience, then it should be used only when necessary.

Jen

Someone is lying:

During this state the rabbit is in factvery wide awake and alert and results show that they have significantly increased respiration and heart rate levels.In addition the hormone plasma corticosterone which is the recognised measure of acute stress is also shown to be extremely high"

http://www.rabbitawarenessweek.co.uk/behaviour/rabbit-whisperer

Fiona Rawlings, of the Rock View Veterinary Surgery in St Austell, said that Mr Penrose’s work had been invaluable. “Cliff uses a relaxation technique that induces the release of endorphins, making the rabbit feel relaxed,” she said. “It allows a close examination of the rabbit without discomfort, but it is not totally asleep, just completely chilled out. It is a great tool for coping with rabbits that have behavioural problems because it makes them feel less stressed.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article7097862.ece

Either it causes the release of stress hormones, or endorphins. Which one?
There are many more discussions about this in the thread I posted earlier.

Jen

Latest posts

Back