is it true that 85% of unspayed females get uterine cancer by age 5?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv4lionheads

Reaction score
i read in a book that 85 percent of unspayed females get uterine cancer. is this really true and on adverage how much would it cost to get my rabbit spayed?

Not at all. The study that number is based on is often incorrectly quoted. The study found that 85% of the does (I believe the does were over 4 years of age) included in the research population developed uterine "tumors". Not all the tumors were cancerous.

Pam

Whilst this thread is about breeding bunnies some of the responses and the articles that are linked to in it could be very relevant to your question.

As for spay costs, it is variable from vet to vet so maybe call around in your area and see what the prices are, also try your local rescues and shelters and see who they use for their spays.

Spaying can make a difference to behaviour but also in medical issues and life span.

I don't know if the percentage is correct or not, but I suspect it may well be. Please get your rabbit spayed. Not only is uterine cancer a threat so is ovarian cancer. I don't know what the cost is in your area, it varies dramatically from one region to another. But, I can guarantee you that the cost of the spay will be MUCH cheaper and easier emotionally on you than dealing with uterine or ovarian cancer in the future. There's a financial hit and guilt trip you just don't want to set yourself up for.

Plus, spaying them really does calm them down and restores sanity. Before her spay, Pixel was "Berserker Bunny" and "Rabid Rabbit".

If there is a rabbit rescue relatively close to you, call them and ask who they would recommend. Otherwise, call vets in your area and ask them if they spay rabbits and how many per month they spay. Also, be sure they provide pain meds!!!!! Unbelievable, but some vets think that rabbits don't need pain meds.

I just got one tiny Lionhead last week. BAD teeth issues. Starving to death because she couldn't eat. Vet visit. Teeth clipped, more dental issues in the future. But, once the dental is taken care of (she has to gain weight first, trying to get to 3 lbs.), she'll be spayed, then hopefully bonded to my neutered boy Lionhead. Both are real sweeties. :)

Spaying is an ounce of prevention!

Doesn't matter what the chances are if just 1% get uterine cancer.....if yours is in that 1%. Oddly enough, I got a call from one of my volunteer vets that had a client call and say that one of her unspayed 5 year old girls was "having a period"...hadn't seen that before and was just wondering. When my vet friend did the PE, she found the rabbit to be in extreme discomfort and bleeding. She called and asked my opinion....and it was to go in and fetch the uterus. With bleeding like that, I told her the best case was endometriosis but be prepared for cancer.....and it was cancerous. Rabbit didn't survive the night. We have a male that survived testicular cancer. The thing to remember with rabbits is that their primary function in life is to make more rabbits...something about the food chain thing and their position low on that ladder. Hormones rage as they reach and age thru sexual maturity. If a rabbit isn't going to be bred....the best thing all around is spay or neuter. This is not the first time I have seen this. It's a lot more common than many tend to believe.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
Doesn't matter what the chances are if just 1% get uterine cancer.....if yours is in that 1%. Oddly enough, I got a call from one of my volunteer vets that had a client call and say that one of her unspayed 5 year old girls was "having a period"...hadn't seen that before and was just wondering. When my vet friend did the PE, she found the rabbit to be in extreme discomfort and bleeding. She called and asked my opinion....and it was to go in and fetch the uterus. With bleeding like that, I told her the best case was endometriosis but be prepared for cancer.....and it was cancerous. Rabbit didn't survive the night. We have a male that survived testicular cancer. The thing to remember with rabbits is that their primary function in life is to make more rabbits...something about the food chain thing and their position low on that ladder. Hormones rage as they reach and age thru sexual maturity. If a rabbit isn't going to be bred....the best thing all around is spay or neuter. This is not the first time I have seen this. It's a lot more common than many tend to believe.

Randy
this is very true,,one of my rex,s would have died this way too-if not for a freak accident--got impregnated-(imagine that.)-at about 9month of age,,when the radiogragh came back positive for pregnancy and very early stage of uteran cancer./.thus her life and mine was saved,--100% right on randy,,,sincerely james waller:)

Thanks guys. i just have to save to get the money. im 16 and no jobs in Michigan you know. My parents won't pay for it so its up to me. i have 90$ coming to me now. :headflick:

Latest posts

Back