Is it to late to Socialize a bun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KieraKittie

Reaction score
I notice alot of holland lop cuddle bugs, and even my new arrival Ozzy is an attention lover. When I first got Dandy I was reading how I wasn't supposed to pick her up much and just let her come to me and so forth. But I think I should have alot more. She is pretty loving but standoffish, she doesn't really come to you for attention, she will let me pet her for a moment, but doesn't care to sit and visit. I think she likes me, she does lay on the ground close to me when Im on the computer, she will poke at my pant legs now and then, if I reach to pet her she runs off.

Was just wondering, she is about 14 weeks give or take a week, is it to late to try petting her more and seeing if she can become more social? I mean I am fine if this is just her personality but im pretty sure I could have brought her up with more personal attention if I found this site sooner to read more on peoples posts about such things..

Not at all, when you're with her talk to her and treat her. When you're holding her treat her. The more handling and cuddling the more she'll realize "hey this is nice". After three days of having my holland she is a complete lover. She will come to me and asked to be picked up. She will follow me around and when I go to pick her up from a standing position she does not run.

All bunnies are different. Some it takes a couple months, some it takes more time. But what you are saying, sounds like your bunny is gaining more and more trust with you. Some bunnies you need to let alone and let them approach you. And other ones just come and melt in your arms.

Don't put your bunny in a box or cataorgize him. Just keep doing what you are doing. He will come around and in his way be a loving, sweet companion.

K:)

My holland will tolerate cuddling but he went with me everywhere..even to stores. He will not jump in my lap for petting though, hell sometimes nudge me for pets but thats about it. You can hold her and give her treats and shell associate being held with good things.

It's never too late. I got Peppy when he was 3, he was in a *TINY* cage, which I now use as the bottom half of a rat cage(that small ): ) and hardly let out. The family that had him no longer wanted to pay for him and they basically stopped caring for him except my friend(was her sisters' rabbit). I took him in and he allowed pats, but was nothing like he is now.
I made him a huge cage, let him out for hours and hours, gave him a ton of attention and everyone that came in the house gave him loves too.
He's now the most friendly rabbit I've ever met in my life. He loves attention, pats come above food in his world. He could care less about even parsley if he's getting patted.
It's generally possible. You don't sound like you're too far off!

I agree, never too late. I got Sophie a couple months ago, she's 4. She was in a tiny cage and never handled. I think at some point someone picked her up by her ears because she would flinch every time I stroked over her head and pet her ears.

Going slow and reading on the floor really helped build her trust. For a long time I would open her xpen door and just walk away. She could hop around as she pleased. Soon enough she started to nose bonk my ankles, which I rewarded with a treat. Last week I was sitting on the floor working on my plant terrarium. She came up and licked my foot. I almost cried I was so happy. We are just now starting to work on picking up. She kicks the crap out of me trying to get away, but she will learn in time that it's not so bad.

With the right bun, age doesn't matter. We've had some more than 4 years old----it was a lot of time and work with one we got that was 8 as he was a biter, not a nipper but he did come around finally.

Back