Is it safe in the snow?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GottaLuvDaBuns

Reaction score
So I have a 2 or 1 year old holland lop. (He's a rescue so their not sure) and it recently just snowed about 15cm. I was wondering if it's would be safe to take him outside. He loves to go out in the summer/spring. And he always sits by the door starring outside. He also LOVES to dog and I think he would enjoy it outside. It would only for a few minors, not a long time.
I haven't found anything in the internet, so that's the only reason why in asking. I wouldn't ask if I thought he wouldn't like it, so if it's not safe I won't.

Thx :)

Bunnies handle cold very well, though as an indoor bunny, he wouldn't have the same thick winter coat as an outdoor bunny so he'd be more susceptible.

What's the actual temperature outside? If you can stand to be out there in jeans/a t-shirt and a hoodie or light jacket and maybe thin gloves for five minutes then your bunny should be ok out there for five minutes. If you've gotta bundle up in lots of layers, I'd keep him inside. Of course, that depends somewhat on how easily chilled you are, lol - I can go out with just a hoodie when it's around 10-15F if it's not extremely windy, but yesterday it was 55F (granted, pretty windy, too) and I saw people in Houston that looked like freaking eskimos with heavy winter coats, ear muffs, gloves, you name it. I thought they looked ridiculous; the thought appeared to be mutual (I was wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt, pajama shorts and flip-flops :p).

How windy is it? Drafts/winds are as much a concern as the temperature if not moreso.

What sort of snow is it? (Dry snow is probably fine for him to play in for a little bit, but wetter snow could soak through his coat and undercoat pretty quickly.)

If you do take him outside, I'd only go out for a few minutes and keep a close eye on him to make sure he doesn't seem too cold. When you get inside, make sure to towel-dry his legs and underside.

Alright thanks. It was about -5*C and he has a relatively thick cost, it's also dry fluffy snow. I will decide n a bit.
Thanks!:)

I haven't had any problems letting my buns play in the snow before. They love digging in it. You wouldn't want to let your bun out if the snow is too wet and slushy, but if it is nice out and not too windy and extra cold, and the snow is nice and fluffy, I'm sure it would be fun for your bun. Just make sure when you bring your bun back in that you dry him off if needed, and that he doesn't get chilled and is able to warm up ok.

Abby's Soda 2 (640x429).jpg

Last edited:
Some people will also fill a big rubbermaid type container or litterbox with snow and bring it inside for their rabbits. That way the bunnies can decide if they want to hop in or out of it.

-5C = 23F (for us silly US folks who have to be different from the rest of the world)... that's really not very cold at all. I think he'd be fine in dry snow at that temperature. Missyscove's suggestion of bringing the snow to your rabbit instead of your rabbit to the snow is also a totally viable one... doesn't allow the full "outdoors" experience with all the sights, smells and sounds, but it could be a great way to help you figure out if he even likes snow :p.

Like other have said. there is no problem. Erslev loves the snow to. He get out in it and normaly comes in after max 10 min when it gets to cold for him.
This is Erslev a few min after his saw his first high snow there had fallen about 10 cm (4 inch) that night.
DSC00009.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back