Is it possible to be allergic to 1 type of rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
For the past several weeks, I've been having symptoms of allergies: VERY itchy throat and back of mouth, and sneezing about 80 times a day (not exaggerating). It's pretty annoying! I've been taking Claritin, which thankfully controls things just fine, but as soon as that 24 hour mark arrives, the symptoms come back. The only thing I can think of that's changed is we got our little bunny man, Podge. He's a mutt of some variety, with possible angora background. We have 6 other bunnies so you'd think if I was allergic to rabbits, we would know by now! The buns all live in our house, with Podge's turf in our bedroom. Before him, our Mini Rex Nomi lived in our bedroom and I didn't have any symptoms then.

Thoughts?

Oh and even if it is Podge, not to worry, he's here to stay. A little tickly throat and sneeze attacks are far from enough to convince me to part with him!!

It could be the angora part of his heritage, but often it's rabbit skin that irritates people & it gets better when the young rabbit's hair grows in fully.

It could be a combination of weather-related triggers as well as due to Podge, so it might get better when pollen etc season is over.

But I'd think you'd want to move him out of the bedroom.

Our mini rex Taffy makes me sneeze sometimes, so I think maybe it's the breed mixed with just seasonal allergies. I've been still sneezing some due to pollen.

The interesting thing is I don't have any seasonal allergies. Podgie will be moving downstairs in a couple days now, I had him upstairs in an attempt to quarantine a bit. It's been a month now though!

I react much more strongly to larger breeds myself for some reason. When I have my rescue NZ mixes I was in allergy hell. Lol. Also, the more you have, the more likely it is to exacerbate any small allergy you may have. If being downstairs doesn't solve it, maybe getting a small air purifier can help? :)

Thanks for the input, everyone! Maybe it isn't Podgie causing it. I don't know. I've never had any type of allergy to buns before and we have the same number now as we did a couple months ago. Nomi lived in our room, too- she was such a good bedroom bunny! I miss her :( Sometimes I accidentally call the other bunnies by her name and it's like a stab in the heart.

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Thanks for the input, everyone! Maybe it isn't Podgie causing it. I don't know. I've never had any type of allergy to buns before and we have the same number now as we did a couple months ago. Nomi lived in our room, too- she was such a good bedroom bunny! I miss her :( Sometimes I accidentally call the other bunnies by her name and it's like a stab in the heart.
Finding out many people suffering from allergies when they never had them before. Hope you are feeling better. I had to go through many different kinds of allergy medicine myself to find the one that works for me. Doesn't make me sleepy or dry my mouth out. Found a generic brand that works wonders.

And again like to extend my heartfelt condolences for your loss of Nomi. I know it must be so hard. Though a short time with her, she was able to touch your heart. Hoping those memories turn to sweet ones eventually. Truly understand that stab in the heart feeling.

K

Latest posts

Back