Is it possible for a bunny to WANT to bond with a cat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdieRabbit

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I put Edie outside in her playpen to brush her (I just bought the furminator...AWESOME!!!),let her get some exercise, eat some grass.I decided that while I was at it,I wouldbring my excessively sheddingcat Max outside and brush him, too. Now I don't know if it was because it was cold outside or what, but while I was brushing Max, Edie came over and plopped down against him!!! Usually, she runs the cats out of her pen, but she sniffed him and sidled up next to him like he was her long lost brother or something.I have never seen Max get in her pen and he hasn't ever tried to bother her (he stays clear of her, actually), so I wonder if this has anything to do with it. They are about the same size and color, so maybe she confused him with a rabbit??? Very strange behaviour!!! Max didn't seem to care, either, although I don't think he was paying much attention. He was in awe of being outside!

It makes me sad, b/c I think Edie might want a friend, and although Max is a very loving cat, I doubt he is going to make a point to bond with her. I was so excited aboutthis...however, it was very short lived...as soon as I brought them both back inside, Max threw up all over my nicekitchen chair (he was eating grass) and Ediehad a runny poo beside my husband's lounge chair (he was not too happy about that....lol...).Both are fine now, however. I gave Edie some raisins (she is a raisin VACCUM and it is so cute andI think I gave her too many). I have learned my lesson on the raisins. Poor Edie...she was not very happy when I had to clean her up....not that I was either....shew!

Tony loves the dog and likes the cat. Bo likes the dog too.

Tony will actually try to snuggle and will lay down next to the dog on the opposite sides of the xpen.

I'd never leave them alone together tho. I just don't trust natural instincts in some strange situation. I don't think Sydney would ever hurt one of them but she is a herding dog so I could see her trying to herd them.

I actually can understand. Flower's wanted to bond with the kitties since Day One. :D

She'll chase them down to get them to acknowledge her...which just makes them wanna avoid the livingroom altogether when the buns are out. Makes me think that when they get entire DAYS outside their cages (when we move), the cats might just hide under our bed the whole time. Hehe!!

In fact, I think we'll have to build a shelf that runs along the ceiling (like two feet down from the ceiling), so they can come out, but not HAVE to be in the buns' space. I can easily see them just hiding in our bedroom all day, starting to be a bit neurotic about having to cross the buns' space to get to their food and water. And literally, all it would require are a bunch of wood planks (probably just 2"x8" pieces of wood), held onto the wall by L brackets and then putting some kind of surface on the ramps down into the food/water/litterbox area so they have traction. :D

We've had this in the plans for a while, can't ya tell?

:biggrin2:

Hi Everyone,

You have all given melots of great choices for a newsaver (perhaps a screensaver slideshow)! :p Okay, here is an update. My husband caught our other cat, Mia, asleep in the pen with Edie....she has a nice soft cushy pad and a heat lamp andI think Mia was drawn in because normally she stays far away from Edie. They weren't sleeping together, but Edie didn't chase her our of her pen and was resting nearby. I wish I could have seen it!:(

A woman that has one of my Flemish girls said her rabbit is bonded to one of her cats... they even go to the vet together in the same carrier! It was the smallest cat that bonded with the biggest bun!

They lay together all day and the other cats steer clear! (May have been a protection racket? LOL!) They groom each other and are inseperable. WHO KNEW!!!

Aww!!!! How wonderful!!! You'll have to get a picture of that sometime to add to this thread. :D

EdieRabbit wrote:
Hi Everyone,

You have all given melots of great choices for a newsaver (perhaps a screensaver slideshow)! :p Okay, here is an update. My husband caught our other cat, Mia, asleep in the pen with Edie....she has a nice soft cushy pad and a heat lamp andI think Mia was drawn in because normally she stays far away from Edie. They weren't sleeping together, but Edie didn't chase her our of her pen and was resting nearby. I wish I could have seen it!:(

I will definitely post a pic if I can catchthem in the act! :pNormally, MissMia is a very active year old kitten and follows us around wherever we go. It is rare that she isn't with us. My hubby fell asleep downstairs watching tv and I guess Mia got bored with him and left to see what Edie Rabbit was up to. LOL.

Edie doesn't seem to be bothered by the cats at all (unless they get in her pen...then she chases them out). She hops right over them if they get in her way. Our black cat, George, jumped up and plopped down besideEdie one eveningwhen we had heron the ottoman andshe didn't budge. She just sat there watching tv. I'm certainthat Georgethought she was our other cat Max...they kind of look alike...both black and white with lots of fur and a bit of a weight problem...lol. George is our scaredy cat and wants nothing to do with furry white critters that hop. Ha!

BlueGiants wrote:
A woman that has one of my Flemish girls said her rabbit is bonded to one of her cats... they even go to the vet together in the same carrier! It was the smallest cat that bonded with the biggest bun!

They lay together all day and the other cats steer clear! (May have been a protection racket? LOL!) They groom each other and are inseperable. WHO KNEW!!!
That is great!!! You should film it and send it in to America's Funniest Home Videos. You could win lots of bunny bucks!!!!

NZminilops, that last photo is great.

Three of cats were born in this house and grew up with the rabbits. The kittens tried to play and snuggle with them, and the rabbits didn't mind but they were largely indifferent. With Peanut gone, Rex has been much more outgoing with the cats and they have responded in kind.

Just yesterday morning I woke up to see Rex cuddling next to Scully in his bed :inlove: Of course, he has no qualms about trampling her to get to his breakfast dish, but it's something, right? :p

m.e. wrote:
NZminilops, that last photo is great.

Just yesterday morning I woke up to see Rex cuddling next to Scully in his bed :inlove: Of course, he has no qualms about trampling her to get to his breakfast dish, but it's something, right? :p
Scully....are you an X-Files fan? :) I love that show!

Yup :biggrin2:She's a petite, vocal redhead (orange tabby) - the name Scully just fit perfectly.

That is GREAT! I had a cat named Mulder...he was a black kitty that loved to attack me, especially if I had food. I was constantly yelling, "Mulder, NO!!!!" and I'm sure that the people in the surrounding apartments thought I was a total nutcase! He now lives with my sister and her family. I actually rescued him, not really wanting a cat b/c I wasn't supposed to have one in my apartment. I felt bad for him. My sister and brother in law fell in love with him, so I let them adopt him from me. that was8 years ago and I miss yelling, "MULDER!!!!" at the top of my lungs. Did you know they are making a new movie? It is scheduled to come start filming in Dec. and is coming out next Summer. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back