Is it okay to have a single bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it okay?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
To be honest all but 2 of my girls are "single" bunnys! I find my single bunnys are actually a lot more sociable than those with partners in crime :Dlol anyway just my opinion.

Chantel

For a long time I only had ne bunny. She got a whole lotta attention and was very happy. So I think in some cases it is better to have one bunny. It's easier to care for and can't get jealous of other bunnies.

My bunny Caramel is now a single bunny and for that reason I have moved her into the house... I think along as the get ALOT of attention, then it is fine.. she is the main part of the house and see's all the comings and goings bless her x

Wow, thanks for posting and voting everyone, I'm glad that it is okay! I have a sweet little nethie/mini rex mix baby that I want to keep as a single and focus all my attention on him but I was feeling guilty about splitting him up from his sister.

Single bunny is fine as long as he gets lots of attention :)

My boy Basil was the happiest bunny in the world when he was a single bun. I spoiled the crap out of him though and spent so much time with him. He's happy now too with a buddy, he doesnt have to be lonely when Im at work or school. But he would have been happy either way ;)

my hunny bunny prefers the solitary life.. she likes being a bachelorette
no one leaves the seat up..... LOL

she come out and snuggles when she feels like it but she loves just lounging inher cage, and destroying the many toys she has to keep her occupide.

i would like to add that toys are in my oppinion MORE important with single buns... not jsut a chew outlet, its FUN!

:juggle

jupiterannette wrote:
i would like to add that toys are in my oppinion MORE important with single buns... not jsut a chew outlet, its FUN!

:juggle
I 100% agree with that, since I lost Ruby and Millie became a single bun, Millie has started playing with her toys so much more. She has destroyed more toys in the past week than both didin the 2 months before.:shock:

it's ok to have a single bun, but is it the best in every situation?

DwarfGirl wrote:
whoever voted no, I am really interested in hearing your opinion/reason why?

I voted no as well.

I used to think Dill wanted to be a single bun, he was happy as a lark, loved every bit of human attention and showed no interest whatsoever in other bunnies. He had been in a cage next to a girl for a year or two, they never bonded, and when I got Sherry, she pursued him relentlessly to no avail for almost a month. And thenhe finally gave in and started cuddling with her.

And nowI'm realizing how much happier he is. He's still every bit as happy for human attention, but watching him snuggle with Sherry is a heart-tugger. (Mind you, they still probably would fight if they were caged...)

Pipp is my 'bedroom' bunny, and sinceI have my office in there, too, and I work from home, she's with me every minute. And I'm still not sure I'm giving her the attention she needs/wants. Shesits and waits for me to open one eye in the morning and then starts grooming me. She also spends an hour or more on my lap mid day and again mid-evening.And she sleeps as close as she can to me when it's her sleep time and I'm working.

Yet I just ended up with Sherry's old stuffy (a stuffed toy) in my room, and Pipp is grooming it when I can't be giving her all my attention.

I also think she'd like a partner-in-crime during her play times as she looks bored and finds things to chew and dig.

I'm seriously considering introducing her to somepotentiallittle friends.

And I'll add that my backroom bunny, Radar, got visits a few times a day and was allowed run of the back room, but he was a very lonely, sad little bunny until Darry came to live with him. I didn't really think so until I saw the difference in him.

I don't think that everybunny needs a mate right away, but anybody whose situation changes and they get a job, boyfriend/girlfriend, their schooling or a non-bunny hobbybecomes more intense or anything that causes the bunny not to be the utmost focal point in their life should find the bunny a friend.

My :twocents

sas :)

My bunny is a single lady. I have thought about getting another bunny, but I would feel like I am cheating on her. We are happy together, just the 2 of us, oh yeah, and my BF. :p

~Star~

I voted no too. Finn and Evie were bonded before i had to separate them due to Evie bullying Finn, but when they were younger they were so close i could never have chosen one over the other.

The love and cuddles two bunnies can show eachother is just amazing, and i personally think that no matter how much 'human' attention you can give them its just not the same as having a bunny friend to groom and snuggle up too.

Evie used to do bunny 500's round the room - and as soon as Finn saw her doing that he used to have a go himself :inlove: she did lead him astray on many occasions! lol!

But now they are apart Finn is so lonely, its breaking my heart. We are picking up a little friend for him on Sunday and i cant wait for him to having that bunny bond back again.

I voted yes. Teacup was a single bunny for 6 years we only got Kali and Bud and Vin this year.

Although I do see why people voted no, because we kind of knew that Teacup wanted a bunny freind, but we never really could find a good bunny. Eventually a couple moths ago (like 4 or 5) we got Bud and Kali, a bond brother and sister rex. We brought Teacup down to a bonding session to meet Kali & Bud and it was LOVE at first site, she hunkered down with out a fight and bagged to be groomed, she did a little grooming too, and then they snuggled down. It was amazing, there was virtually no fighting!!!!! I think Teacup really wanted anouther bunny to cuddle with. She LOVED Bud to pecies it was so cute they were always cuddling and grooming each other, then when he died of pasteralla she was distrought!!! She got all moopy and sad, she wasn't very active and she never really did much. Poor little girl! Even though Bud was Kali's brother it didn't seen to have much effect of her. But Teacup need allot of love from other bunnies so she and Kali got pretty close. Then last month we brought Vin home and Teacup dosen't seem to mind him to much, but Kali doesn't really like him much. But he's turned out to just like Bud!!!! So I think Teacup will love him almost as much as Bud.

I think that you should get the one bunny. But when you say you olny want one bunny, belive me by the end of thge year you'll want more. ;)Some bunnies want a freind, some don't it's really up to the bunny, he/she'll let you know when it's the right time, sometimes you don't plan on it and the perfect bunny comes along, or you never find anouther bunny and your bunny stays single,just go with the flow!!

Mostly it all depends on the rabbit.

-TK :)

Sarah8000 wrote:
The love and cuddles two bunnies can show each other is just amazing, and i personally think that no matter how much 'human' attention you can give them its just not the same as having a bunny friend to groom and snuggle up too.
This is very true. There is NOTHGING ANYWHERE like seeing bunny love. It'll melt event the meanest heart!!! But one of the worst things about having 2 bonded bunnies is when you lose one, you won't be the only one who's really sad. Bunnies feel lose just like people. And it breaks your heart to see bunny lose a loved one. *sniff* I feel sad now. :tears2:

I voted yes, but it really depends on the bunny and the person. Some bunnies are fine doing their own thing most of the day, then will come and demand a little human attention before hopping away again. Others don't do well at all when they are alone. Sometimes it's hard to see until you give them a friend. Loki seemed fine on his own at first and wasn't interested in Mocha. When they did bond, he became so much happier and also learned how to do things he didn't do before, like the bunny 500 (he seriously didn't know, poor guy!), the joy of eating massive quantities of hay, etc. They snuggle constantly.

Oberon is relatively ok on his own. He likes to do his own thing and likes people a lot. He plays with the cats and taunts them with his toys through the baby gate. But he also sleeps next to the cage wall with Fey all the time.

Mocha and Fey are two bunnies that simply can not be alone, they are the type that is very needy of attention and love and no mere human can provide enough.

So it really depends on the bun. IMO bonding is best, or at least caging them next to other bunnies so they can interact through the wire. But there are some who can be happy with just their devoted human.

:(I voted yes but I would want every bun tohave a friend. Hubby agrees. Watching our trio cuddle and play is awesome. As is watching our fosters play together.

Latest posts

Back