Is it okay if they don't always come out of their cages?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score
Peaches and Popcorn both have their own cages - both are neutered but Popcorn only 2 days ago so they aren't in contact. They have an enclosure outside their cages that is separated by grids that can't touch (Popcorn is a little aggressive about his space).

I let them both out at the same time but sometimes they wander out for a brief period, then go back in their cage to either eat or just chill. Neither really play with anything - Peaches has a "binky box" that he plays in and on top of and a blanky to dig in but he spends a big part of the day in his cage - it's NIC grids 2x4x3high with multi levels, Popcorn has a 2x3x2high cage with 1 level. I'd love to let them out longer but I'm at work most of the day and they get a few hours out in the evening but they tend to go back into their cages a lot.

Is this okay? Is it good that they like their cage so much?

During the day rabbits aren't terribly active. The best times to let them out would be dawn and dusk since this is when they are naturally more active.

My rabbits have access to half a room each all the time. On the weekends if I stop in to say hi they are generally just relaxing in their hay boxes or in a hidy spot. They prefer to play with their toys or me in the evening.

If you want them to get more exercise you can try initiating games. What kinds of games depends on what your buns like. You can roll a small ball slowly towards them and see if they like it. Becky will roll the ball back a dozen times or so before she thinks it is dull. You can try peek a boo, or chase type games as long as they aren't frightened by the game.

i have a huge NIC play area that i rotate from cage to cage for each bun to come in and out of as they please when its their turn ...some of my buns are more startled then others and those are the ones that always go back in their cages after being out for a little while...its their safe place...but i have other buns that i have to bribe or threaten:) to get back in their cages when its another buns turn out....it all depends on the personality of the bun.....im sure you already know that if they normally like to be out and now they arent then you gotta figure out why their acting dif now..wether its a change in the household or they are sick ...or something startles them.

if u want them to excercise more then i agree with brandy ,you gotta get them moving somehow..thats what i gotta do with my lazy buns..i play chase with the ones that handle it well...and all the buns really like their tunnels to play in.even when im out of the room i can hear someone zooming through them ..i set them up so theirs two tunnels in their huge play area(the size of my livingroom) on each side of the circle and they will do circle laps thru one tunnel and then the next around and around...its really cute to see....my "slow" bunny does the circle laps thru the tunnels and into her cage in a circle and back out and repeat..shell do this like 5 times in a row and then flop out in the middle of the play area for a good snooze.:)..

Latest posts

Back