Is he snoring or grunting?(Closed)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patomaha

Reaction score
I went to play with Paco, my rabbit and he's snoring/grunting. I've never heard this noise before. His eyes are clear, he has normal energy and there isno eye or nose discharge. Should I be worried? It's Saturday afternoon and the vet's office is closed. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Ah good question. He does it when I pick him up, when he's running around during free time (outsideof his cage.) Right now he's resting in his cage and not making any noise. He just ate a carrot and some pellets.

He's a male Rex -- the one you see on my avatar. We had a surprise last week. When I first got him, the Humane Society papers said female, so did the vet. Last week, after three years, I picked Paqui up and saw that he's really a Paco. Could it be that he's going through some life changes?

He's 4 years old and intact. He's very docile and affectionate. I'm suspecting that he's learning to talk to us.

I just went to his cage and he started his snore/gurgle. Is he purring?

i think he's probably "talking".

purring is something they do with their teeth when they're super happy/content......they gently grind or chatter their teeth.

i fostered a mini-rex that talked to me all of the time.
as soon as i walked in the room he would start making all kinds of interesting sounds. :p

This morning he's sounding"wet" in his throat/upper chest. I don't hink he's talking. Are there any antibiotics I can give to him until tomorrow AM when I can call the vet. Isn't there some kind of powder I can put in his water or some kind of drops? We have Tractor supply stores here in town.

There is something oral that Leaf used on her rabbit temorarily but it was for wounds on the rabbits body. You might want to pm her as it was diluted in water. I think that she got it at a tractor supply store.
The other options would me subqutaneous bicillin (Penicillin combo sold for cattle)but if you have not used it before it might be difficult to use that.

is there any way that you can call the vet answering service and have the vet call a pharmacy and give you a prescription. he may agree to this as long as it's a Sun
This sounds like a esophageal or lung condition possibly and probably does need fast action...

angieluv wrote:
There is something oral that Leaf used on her rabbit temorarily but it was for wounds on the rabbits body. You might want to pm her as it was diluted in water. I think that she got it at a tractor supply store.

Hi there,

I have this thread up that shows the name of some medicines I bought at a farm supply store:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=39376&forum_id=16

I dont know your area, but most places have an MFA, Dickey Bubs, Orschelins - thats the type of store to look into.

Of the medicines I purchased, my vet said Terramycin was the best - it causes no gut issues and works rapidly, though it can be bitter tasting when mixed in with water.

There's a bit of a yellowish hue and a few bubles on top when mixed.

The dosage on the back of the packet says:

"Administer in the drinking water at a level of 10mg per pound of body weight daily. Administer up to 14 days".

If your rabbit doesn't want to drink the water, offer greens that have soaked in it, or carrots/hay that have been spritzed with it.

This seemed very fast acting for Knuckles, but it was only a treatment for a few days until he was vetted.

Let me know, and good luck!

Latest posts

Back