Is he / isn't he?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkin

Reaction score
Hello you lot of smart bunny people,

I have a question that seems kind of strange, however I think it might be possible.

It's about munchkin, my gorgeous, toothless netherland dwarf. When I rescued him from the shelter - they said he had been neutered when the vet removed his teeth...however his territorial pooping is driving me MAD.
He stood today in my hall and poops just dropped out of his butt, before he hopped off to another part of the floor and did the same.
I'm having to hoover my room 2 to 3 times a day when he is out, and it's making me want to keep him locked in just for a rest ;-)

Do you think there is a chance he is not neutered or was not done properly? (he would have been about 6 months at most when they got him)
or is it just because my other bonded pair are downstairs and he knows it and feels he has to keep establishing his territory?

Help. :?:biggrin2:

Bo has been neutered since he was 5 mos old - he's 3 years and about 6 mos now.

He territorial poos everywhere and all the time. He got a little better for awhile and then we brought Tony home and he's worse than he's ever been.

Cloverbunny is the same right now but she's usually a great girl. She is good about her box in her cage as is Bo.

Tony is awesome about his litterbox but he's scenting things now too.

I think it's just laziness sometimes also. Bo will also just get excited and lose them all over the place LOL! Those aren't scented tho.

He's most likely neutered. You have other buns that share the same space, right? Is Munchkin bonded to any other bun? If not, this is likely the reason for the poos everywhere. Whenever I let Snuff out, if he goes by Angel's cage, he lets em loose. He's marking territory by her on purpose. So, this could be what he's doing.;)

I read somewhere recently that rabbits don't have great anus muscle reflexes. I really don't know how true it is, but from what I understand, the muscle works but the control isn't the best.

Is it possible he needs more litter boxes spaced out where he can get to them? Maybe his diet is part of it too, healthy I'm sure, but a blend that makes his bowels move frequently...

I really don't know, I'm just talking off the top of my head here, really.

He's lucky I love him so much I tell ya!
I recently bonded Munchkin with Gizmo, and his poop output has certainly increased since, so maybe in time he'll resume to only slightly obnoxious amounts...especially when the results of Gizmo's neuter 2 weeks ago fully kicks in.

I guess you guys are right - he doesn't show any other signs of not being neutered, and Moon was never aggressive to him when I first brought him home, which he would have been had he been in tact.

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I'm just going to have to get used to living in poop. Arghhh. :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back