Is he a Holland Lop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Roger is definitely a mini lop. However, I'm not exactly sure what specific breed of mini lop he is. I've done research on Wikipedia and think he is a Holland Lop, but I need other opinions.

Wikipedia Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rabbit_breeds#Mini_Lop

Image of Roger:

721493730_60b1179d52.jpg

I don't know the specifics of the breeds, but a minilop is a breed of rabbit, as is the holland lop.

The holland lop is smaller than the minilop.

(In the UK and NZ, etc, we have a minilop and a dwarf lop, with the UK minilop being equivalent to the US holland lop, and the UK dwarf lop, being equivalent to the US minilop, so when researching make sure you know what you are looking at)

How much does Roger weigh?

Then he is probably a minilop, based on the weight specs for the two breeds :)

Hes a Mini Lop or unless you can take a picture of him from his side because you can tell by the ears if he is a Holland or Mini. But he looks like a Mini Lop.

Here's a photo of his side. How can you tell by the ears? All the info tells me that he's a Holland Lop, both from Wikipedia and from Rabbits Online info. Thanks!

Yes, he's sitting in his hay box. He ate all of his hay and is looking for more.

892925827_0326aec016.jpg

What a cutie :D

I don't know enough to know the specifics of breeds. What makes you think he is a holland? I'm asking so that people can help explain their views to you.

Definitely Mini Lop. Holland Lops have a higher head mount and also weigh about 3 lbs. Your guy is heavier. He is the perfect weight for a Mini Lop.

Sharon

I tend to think he's a minilop because of his head shape.

A Holland lop has a more rounded head shape - at least based upon the ones I have here. The minilop I had was more angular in the face shape....sort of a longer, pointier nose. It is hard to explain without seeing the two breeds side by side.

I think its interesting that three different breeders all think he's minilop and you're thinking Holland lop based on wikipedia....

His weight also leads me to think he's minilop as they weigh more than Hollands.

Peg

i use to breed both mini lop and holland lops, i now own a mini lop.

i vote mini lop. it is in the shape of his head. . .as peg said.

and personally i see little conformation in the weight of him to tell the breed. i have seen 3.5/4 pound mini lops (that would put them in the holland lop weight range) and i have seen 5 pound holland lops (i would get 1 of these big guys once in a while in litters). in fact, i have often seen 4.5 and 5 pound hollands especially in the oranges, fawns, torts, and majorly in the tri colors (that seemed to always be a problem for me finding stock to use in my tri color program, was the tris tended to be big).

The best way to explain what a holland lop head should look like is that it nearly perfectly round, like an apple with floppy ears. Roger's head is not round from the front view- it's more angular with flat sides. Yes, it's rounded from the side view but that's what mini lop heads are supposed to look like. Plus like Starlight said he carries himself more like a mini than a holland. When minis are shown they pose down, similar to how he looks when he is sitting in the plastic tub. Holland lops pose sitting up with their heads up. It's from a difference in body type.

So I agree that your cutie is a mini lop.:)

I see the difference! Thanks a bunch! The pictures did it, after the head shape explanation. Holland Lops have apple shaped heads with lop ears, while the Mini Lops don't. I see, thanks everybody for 'voting'. You have all been very helpful. Roger thanks you as well. Now he knows what breed he is!

897432393_f73530114f.jpg

Yay. I helped. Can I have Roger?

PythagoreanLEGO wrote:
I see the difference! Thanks a bunch! The pictures did it, after the head shape explanation. Holland Lops have apple shaped heads with lop ears, while the Mini Lops don't. I see, thanks everybody for 'voting'. You have all been very helpful. Roger thanks you as well. Now he knows what breed he is!

897432393_f73530114f.jpg

Back