Is fate trying to say something?!?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could use a little window unit to keep them cool in summer and a large space heater to at least keep it above freezing in winter.
They do handle heat very well, much better than the flemmies....maybe its because of the ears....

My gosh Sunshine, that is quite a list...your mom must have gotten so discouraged. Afraid my experience with E-lops is limited to just Raph, so I couldn't offer a whole lot about them.

I did have a few breeders I'd contacted before buying Raph who told me that they either housed their English lops indoors in the winter, or had them in heated barns (these are the breeders who live in colder climates). Was told their ears are just too fragile for the cold temps because of the danger of freezing andfrostbite, as was mentioned. So I wouldn't even attempt to keep Raph outdoors past October.

Just beforebuying Raph though, I had been wondering if the E-lops are a particularly hard breed to keep. There were a good number of breeders advertising online that I'd tried contacting to find a rabbit, but many of them had either gone out of business altogether, or had switched from raising the English lops to another breed instead. Even the breeder I got Raph from got rid of all her E-lops several months after I bought him. So I'm curious as to whether there are more problems surrounding the breed than with other rabbits...:?

I wouldn't say that they are difficult to breed but rather difficult to take care off. They are like Flemish Giants, they need a lot of room so you can't house as many of them as you could dwarf breeds. Which means you have to work with a limited number of rabbits. They eat a lot, so you need to be able to finance that part. to keep their ears from getting stained, urine scaled etc, they require frequent cage cleaning, not just pan cleaning. And if they rip their ears you can't show them to that is another down side. But I think the majorityof their fault lies in the fact that they need space, and lots of feed. There is a reason a majority of people that show rabbits have rabbits that weight less than 8 pounds ;)

I have noticed that, and it's kinda sad. There is so little competition for the Flemish around here, it's hard to even get a leg. There are some really good Flemmy breeders in Illinois, but they don't make it to all the shows, of course.

Latest posts

Back