is conifer poisonous to rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nancy MC Clelland
My rabbit is an outdoor one his cage is in the back garden we haven't long moved house and noticed there seems to be a lot of conifer on the ground. We put him on a harness but it seems that he always goes towards it even if we pick him up he will just hop back there LOL
:bunny19

By conifer, do you mean a particular kind? Some, like juniper and yew, are more poisonous and you don't want your rabbit eating any part of it. Cedar and redwood may not be as poisonous, as I don't see them listed on very many of the poisonous plants lists, but I do know the oils in cedar aren't good for rabbits. Conifers like firs, spruces, and pines, aren't a problem. Rabbits can have dried out pine cones and pieces of dried out pine wood, to chew on. My rabbits have even munched on the new soft needle growth on spruce trees, and seem to really like it.

Last edited:
A leylandii conifer is also called a leyland cypress. I only found it mentioned on one of the poisonous plant lists for rabbits, out of several that I looked at. However, I did find references to it being toxic to horses. And since horses and rabbits digestive systems are similar, I would think that it would also be toxic to rabbits. Probably best to just keep your rabbit away from it to be safe.

Latest posts

Back