Is complete litter training possible for baby buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexah

Reaction score
So Shasta and Shiloh are now coming up on 4 months old. I'd venture a guess that they're about 15/16 weeks. And they're little 'tudes are coming out full force. But that's not too big of an issue since I love bunnytudes. What I'd like to ask about now is litter training.

They've been using their litterboxes to pee since they were about 10 weeks old. They literally taught themselves. But they continue to poop anywhere and everywhere. I know that's not too big of an issue because it's super quick and easy to sweep away, but I'd really prefer it if my girls could use their pans exclusively. I'd really like for them to have free roam more often, but because of this it's just not possible and they're often confined to the bunny room.

They will be spayed, but not until they're 5+ months. My vet prefers to spay and neuter rabbits after 5 months unless absolutely necessary. And I agree with that. And since I have no unneutered males and my girls are 100% female it's not too big of a problem to wait. I know it'll help their litter box habits, but do I really have to wait until then to get the pooping under control?

Even if they poop outside of their pans forever, I'll love 'em. I just hope I can get some poop relief soon :p.

I don't think 100% perfect litter box habits are possible. Our bonded pair are like 99% perfect with pee and even the mistakes are just the butt hanging over the edge of the box a bit too much.

Our boy was almost perfect w/pee and poop even before his neuter. Our girl who were adopted post spay was almost perfect w/her litter box, but in the last several months has developed a new habit of standing outside the box and eating her hay and of course leaves a little pile of poops. When she's enjoyed that first chow down, she hopsin and finishes her business. I turned this around to a plus; use her poop to fertilize my garden and our flowers are the biggest and brightest on the block.

It is rare that I ever find a stray poop anywhere outside their room and never pee (knock wood). We fostered a boy who got pretty good w/his litter box after his neuter, although for him just getting close to the box seemed to be good enough!

Martha, Biscuit & Roxie (I like eating my hay outside the box!)

I have an adult foster girl who is great about peeing in her box but only poops in it about 1% of the time. She is great when she is out for playtime - has never had an accident - but in her cage it's a different story. I'm having her spayed next week Thursday and am hoping it will help.

Dippy and Fluffball have done quite well right from the beginning but now they ahve moved into their new cage fluffball ahs started peeing in the corner I tried putting the litter tray there but she mioved it and continued to pee there what should i do?

my rabbits are trained for the most part, but will occasionaly pee outside the box -but that is occasionally thtety will go mo nths without having any accidents. As far as poop well they go about 97% of the time but when Sooty is jumping out of his litter he has some free flyers that fly out on his way out of the box,lol. When i vacum the pen o ut every day i probably vac up less then 10 escapee's, to me this isnt bad,lol.

I'd love to just have 10 escapees. 'Cause right now between Shasta and Shiloh (who share a pen) I have about a zillion. And that's not including the ones that miraculously find a way to fly out of the pen and land on my floor. Ah, I guess it could be worse.

Maybe I should just be more creative and make a necklace out of poops. I like to bead... :big wink:

Buttons was great with her litter habits ever since she was a baby, 100%, not even the occasional poop out of her box

Yohji was 100% good with pee, but he was only about 95% good with poop. He tends to jump out from his litter box before he's quite done with pooping, so a few poops will drop from his bum each time he jumps out from the box. But when he hit puberty (~ 5mths), there were poop everwhere!!! thank god he was still good with his pee.. he's since been neutered, so back to 95% good with poop :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back