Is Cat Food OK for the buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
Not that I'm feeing it to them!!! Also, it's notwet catfood. Both of the rabbits make a bee line to the catfood when welet them out of the cage in the morning. For some reason, they love it.

My question is, is cat food ok for them to eat? It's Nature's Choice Cat Food, btw, so you know the brand.

This is a new thing, the buns going for the cat food. You know, because I'm starving them and all that. :p

No, cat food is NOT good for rabbits. Rabbit pellets and hay only.

No Stephanie,

IMPO Cat food is NOT good for Rabbits. Rabbits will eat just aboutanything they can sink their teeth into. This includes electricalwires, that doesn't make it a good dietary choice. I know that you getthe picture.You are the caretaker of your bunny, so you must makecertain that the right choices are made. I know that folks think it'scute when the rabbit eats strange things like Cat food Pizza etc. We[as owners and caretakers] must remember that anything that upsets theproper nutritionally balanced diet of a rabbit can often cause drasticconsequences. On can't be too careful as a rabbits digestive system isquite fragile.I would feed the Cats in another room orrestrict the rabbit from that room when the food is available for theCats. As always, JMPO.

Dennis,C.V.R.

HankHanky wrote:
Rabbits will eat just about anything they can sink their teeth into.
You can say that again. Everytime I'd drop a piece of food onthe floor while eating, Angel was right there. She ate pizza,fish, lint....ANYTHING.

Not mine, he does not eat dry bread, I read on the forum it was a treat for them, but he did not like it.
Also broccoli he started eating only the second time I gave it to him.

Trust me, my rabbits don't get anything butrabbit pellets,they have an ample and steady supply of hayand maybe twice a week some veggies. That's it. I don't feed them catfood, nor did I plan on keeping it up. I don't want youtothink I'm not caring for them properly. Their diet is regulated, I wasjust concerned with the cat food, that's all.

With my post I was insinuating nothing!

Just posting my personal opinion. I know that rabbits can be littlesneaks if they get a chance. I can't say I blame them but it cansometimes lead to their demise. "Everything in moderation".

Dennis,C.V.R.;)

Stephanie wrote:
Their diet is regulated, I was just concerned withthe cat food, that's all.
If ever in doubt, don't give it to them.

Put the catfood on a pedestal, cats are quite a bit better at climbing a sheer wall than a rabbit.

My rabbit loved catfood, so the cat's food went on top of a carpetedpost with a platform on top. It ended up becoming the cat'splay area with a dining-balcony of sorts.

Latest posts

Back