Is bunny claw infected?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montijo

Reaction score
My rabbit had really long nails. It’s hind foot had one that had grown thick and curved. She got it hung on a blanket and it broke it off. It bled for at least 20 min. I used powder and got it to stop. It has been a week ago. She is eating and hopping around, acting fine. I got her nails trimmed today and the vet ( not qualified for rabbits, so no diagnosis) said the toe looked “angry”. the bunny let her trim nails, but vet said the foot was sensitive. Before I pay big vet bill, do you think she might not be infected if she is acting normal?

Bunnies will often act normal even though they are in pain. They hide their pain really well. How to the claw look like and hows the area around the claw.

If it’s dark and look quite red it’s a hint on a infection. You can clean the claws with saline solution.

I had many claws that have been broken even though they where short. It’s quite common to see it among my outdoor bunnies that dig a lot in the run. But I just keep it clean and make sure it was only the claw that got hurt. Sometimes a bad break can cause the foot be hurt where the claw sit in.

I have been able to get a better look at her foot. It might be a little red around the claw, but not much. The foot does not look swollen. I tried to soak in epsom salt. She would not let me. I really think she is ok. She has been bunny flopping, and seems to be really happy, especially with the short claws. I don’t see her licking it anymore than the other foot, and it seems to be only grooming. I am a new rabbit owner. She was given to me. Thanks for your response.

I have been able to get a better look at her foot. It might be a little red around the claw, but not much. The foot does not look swollen. I tried to soak in epsom salt. She would not let me. I really think she is ok. She has been bunny flopping, and seems to be really happy, especially with the short claws. I don’t see her licking it anymore than the other foot, and it seems to be only grooming. I am a new rabbit owner. She was given to me. Thanks for your response.
She seems fine , she will be okay okay!

Latest posts

Back