Is anything wrong with him????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovableLops

Reaction score
Ok, so i had posted somthing on here a while ago about Smudges breathing.
Well he is still breathing loud and heavy but is STILL acting NORMAL. He is jumping around,eating,playing, and being his lovey self.

But i have been researching illnesses to see if i could find anything on breathing and just was reading and came across something called snuffles.
Well it said thatsnuffles can cause wheezing but it also has other sighns like sneezing,watery eyes, watery nose,watery ears, lots of discharg form eyes and nose with mucus drainage and stuff like that..
well Smudge doesnt have ANY of that, he just breaths loud and heavy but i cant find ANYTHING on breathing problems or what it could be? I am so confused at this?:?

Do you think he has Snuffles? or do you think he is ok?

He does have a lightly wetted nose, NOT driping or anything slose to that, i just wanted to check so i poked and rubbed his nose with my finger and it was a bit damp but not enough to make the fur around his nose even look wet, do rabbits usually have damp or moist noses like the way i described Smudges?

Any info would help, thanks

Snuffles is an old-school term for an upper respiratory infection. Upper respiratory infections are usually caused by the bacteria Pasturella, but can be caused by others, like bordatella, staph, etc. The first sign of an upper respiratory infection is usually a runny nose and/or lots of sneezing. Rabbits don't usually have wet noses, but a bit of wetness can be normal, especially after exercise.

I would be more worried about something like pneumonia or a lower respiratory infection with his faster breathing. I think it would be good to get him to the vet for a checkup and to have them listen to his heart/lungs soon, but it's not an emergency thing. Perhaps in the next 2 weeks, he could be seen? If you start to see mucus or eye discharge, hear sneezing, or his breathing gets really shallow, his ears feel really hot or cold, and he looks different (the brightness of his eyes), that would make it an emergency.

ok, i get my paycheck friday so he will go as soon as i cash it.
thanks

You could also put a humidifier near his cage, perhaps even put a sheet over his cage and put the humidifier outside under the sheet so that the mist goes in there.

Here's a really good article on URIs.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.pdf

You have to be careful about which sites you get info on for URIs--rabbit medicine has changed a lot in the last few years, and people used to think that "snuffles" was this mysterious disease that could wipe out a herd and couldn't be treated in some cases.

Finally, is he on pine or cedar shavings? Those can cause respiratory problems.

he has a wire floor but the tray has Aspen shaving in it.
i will check out the site, thanks

Latest posts

Back