Is a rabbit right for me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a lot of experience, being new to the bunny world myself, but I will put in my little experience. I got my bunnies in Colorado 5 weeks ago (like I said, I'm new). I live 12 hours away from where I got them, a trip we split into a 5 hour drive and a 7 hour drive over two days. I actually had them in their cage for the trip, since I felt bad cooping two bunnies up in a carrier for that long (I only anticipated getting one). They traveled amazingly! They slept, snuggled, ate, drank. They did not seem stressed at all. In fact, when we let them out at the hotel and put them on the bed, they hopped around and snuggled. Bugsy even did a couple of binkies (I had no idea what he was doing and wondered if something was wrong lol). I got them home and let them hop around. The cat was scared. I'll have to put the video of her reaction on youtube to share.
Do your family's cats have tendencies to be mean to new animals? If not, it will probably be alright. Just make sure your bunny is caged when the cats are around, just in case. For our cat's sanity, we keep her in a closed room when my bunnies are out.
I agree with the statement of being sure you will have room in your life once done with school. You still have a lot of school left, though, and by the time you are done you will be super attached to your fluffball, so I am not too concerned about that. How do I know you will be attached? Because you are researching and asking questions to ensure the best life for him/her already.

As has been mentioned, most rabbits travel just fine. We've taken Gus camping and he LOVED it. Perhaps your rabbit may not be that adventurous, but they should learn to travel just fine. Be sure they're in a secure carrier and don't get too hot or cold and give them plenty of breaks, and they should be fine. You will most likely be more stressed than the rabbit. At least for the first few trips. ;)

It's funny, though, Gus has travelled up to nine hours in the car just fine, but put him in his carrier to go to the vet and he's certain his life is ending. :p

Hope that helps!

Rue

Bunnies require far less attention than my dogs. I have 30-50 at any given time out at the horse stable and spend about 1 hour taking care of them daily and a few hours on weekends handling them. My house rabbits have a hutch with ramp to animal proofed room. I just open the ramp in the morning and close it at night. They don't want walks, petted, to sleep with me, or to be part of a pack. They just want some run time, the occasional treat, and some toys. Even when I bring them to the bedroom and watch a movie they mostly do their own thing and Enki actually hates to be interrupted by attention. He will come lick your hand or foot occasionally while running around but you are not allowed to touch him. My other one usually picks a spot on a spare pillow or the end of the bed and settles in to wait until she goes back to her hutch.

Yeah I was going to say... My two dogs require walks, playing and training every day as well as grooming, my rat just needs to cuddle and run a bit... I know that rats and buns aren't the same but I doubt a rabbit needs as much time as a dog! Dogs are time intensive pets!

I'm a college student looking at bunnies too and I have at least 4 years left after I move so I feel you. I do already have two dogs though so whether I can afford a bunny is up in the air!

I disagree that rabbits don't want or need as much attention as dogs. My rabbits are house pets and cuddle, follow me around, hang out with me and my family all the time. In fact one of my rabbits is flopped out on my husbands lap at this very moment. Most of the rabbits I've met enjoy companionship.

Like most things in life you get back what you put into it.

What type of rabbits do you have? I know breed isn't always an indicator of personality but it's fun to know :) I just got a new fur baby and he thinks I am going to eat him right now... I think patience and treats will win him over.. Just gotta keep telling my husband that! Rabbits are not like cats or dogs :)

Sent from my iPad using Rabbit Forum

Back